Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

List of soldiers Admitted Fernhill Auxillary Hospital

jemm

I have just completed a litst of soldiers admitted throughout 1915, to the Fernhill Auxillary Hospital Stacksteads, Bacup, Lancashire

Soldiers were sent here from the 2nd Western Hospital Manchester.

There are also a few soldiers discharged added as well, hope this may help someones research :)

Fernhill Auxiliary Hospital Stacksteads Bacup Lancashire

Fernhill opened its doors to its first patients from the 2nd Western Hospital Manchester on Sunday December 6th 1914. Patients being transported there using private cars loaned to the hospital by many of the local gentry. The soldiers arrived at Fernhill just after noon and where met by the Mayor and Mayoress, the Doctors Brown and Rigby and Mrs Sutcliffe the Matron, Lady Superintendent Simpson and first officer Rushton with other members of staff also present. The patients consisted of:

Corporal Sydney Moss, 3rd Rifle Brigade

Private McVitty, Irish Guards, Private

D Garratt, 3rd Worcester

Private Browns 10th Hussars,

Private Macintyre Royal Field Artillery

Private Fitzpatrick, Irish Guards

Private Burgoyne, 1st Devon,

Private Moss, 2nd Manchester's.

Private Tomlinson, Cheshire Regiment

Private Fitzpatrick, 2nd Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Private Coles - 1st Devon's

Private Whiting, 1st Royal Berkshire Regiment

Admitted - 31st December 1914

Corporal Todd – Irish Rifles

Lance Corporal – Fackerville. R.W. Kents.

Lance Corporal Nash, 2nd Oxford and Backs.

Private Germaine, 11th Hussars

Private Evenden, R.W.Kents

Private Baker,2nd R.Sussex

Gunner Richards, R.F.A

Discharged – January 11 th1915

Private Whiting, Dover

Lance Corporal Facherell London

Private Fitzpatrick, Leeds

Corporal Moss, Eastbourne

Discharged February 4th 1915

Private Donohue, Royal Garrison Artillery.

Private Mannion, 2nd Lancashire Fusiliers

Admitted February 15th 1915

Corporal F Wiffen, 2nd Q.R.W.S. Maidstone.

Private J Curtis, 2nd D.C.L.I, Tonypandy, South Wales.

Bugler A Gilks, 2nd D.C.L.I Stephney.

Private A Hodgkins, 1st South Staffordshire, Birmingham.

Lance Corporal W Gibson, 1st Hants R.A. Bishops Waltham

Private D Tidman 2nd East Lancashire Haslingden.

The first four are suffering from frostbite, and the two latter from gunshot wounds.

Admitted March 19th 1915

Five wounded soldiers who took part in the famous Neuve Chapelle battle were received at the Fern Hill Convalescent Hospital yesterday 19th March. All the men are suffering from shrapnel and bullet wounds, one Private McHikin as lost an eye.

Private D Henderson, 2nd Scots Guards

Private D Fosbury, 2nd R Burks

Private McHikin, 2nd S Hants

Private W. H. Dale, 2nd Leicester’s

Private B Chalmers, 2nd Gordon Highlanders

Discharged 22nd April 1915

Lance Corporal J Connran, 5th Lancers

Private B Palmer, 1st H.L.I.

Private A Dee, 2nd Welsh,

Private A Hamilton, 1st EAST Lancs

Private Young, 11th Manchester’s

Private O’Brien, 8th Northumberland Fusliers

Lance Corporal Potts, 8th Northumberland Fusiliers

Private John Riddall, 11th Yorkshires

Private Marshall, 7th Cheshire’s

Cpl. Dean, 11th Manchester

Private Hatton, 6th Worcester’s

Sapper Richardson, Royal Engineers

Private Pritchard, 22nd S.B. Manchester’s

Private Smith, 3rd Manchester’s.

Admitted November 13th 1915

Private H Rodges, 5th Bedfordshire’s

Private A Burns, New Zealand Expeditionary Force

Lance Corporal F Wood, First 2nd Royal Engineers

Private C Foley, 1st Royal Munster’s

Bombadier-Saddler A Churchman, Royal Field Artillery

Private W Simpson, 7th North Staffordshire’s

Sergeant W Gaskin, 6th South Lancashire’s

Rifleman A Childes, 1st 8th Hampshire’s

Private J Green, 5th R.S. Fusiliers

Private J Ingham, 6th Loyal North Lancashire’s

Private J Stringer, 6th Essex

Private R Classon, 1st 6th Highland Light Infantry

Admitted 4th December 1915

C.Q.S. Bell, Bedford’s

Private Harle, East Lancs

Private Hines, East Lancs

Private Bennell, Royal Sussex

Private Spain, Royal Fusiliers, London Regiment

Private Stainsby, East Lancs

Private Barrow, Leicester’s

Pte Doonan, Scottish Horse

Private Lagham, West York’s

Private McKnight, West York’s

Private Gibson, Scottish Horse

Lance Corporal Rosamond, Lancs Fusiliers

Discharged 3rd December 1915

Corporal Grey, Private Knight, Private Ingham, Lance Corpoarl Wood, Private McKewan, Private Clason

Thank you for adding this list. John Robert Ingham of the 6th Loyal North Lancashire Regiment, was injured at Gallipoli and after recovering was posted to the Western Front in December 1915 with the 1st Batt LNLR. He was killed in action on the 18th August 1916.

Do you have any other information about the hospital or images of the building?

Thanks again jemm

Jennifer

Hi jemm

I have been looking at your very informative website for the Bacup Times (military tag) and found the description of the hospital and some excellent images. I was impressed with the other aspects of Bacup history you have also included.

The 1915 photo's seem to be in the Summer (just guessing by the leaves on the trees) but there in an indoor 1915 photo which I was hoping was Nov/Dec. I have a tiny, grainy image of John Robert from a local newspaper, and I have been trying to match him to one of the men on your images.

I have just read a copied page from 1st Batt war diary and it seems John and many others from the Battalion were killed at 2.45 as they advanced to attacked a trench S.3.B.72, north west corner of High Wood.From my very limited understanding of these extracts it appears that the timing of the lifting of the British Bombardment of that area caused the casualties.

Regards

Jennifer

Hi jemm

I have been looking at your very informative website for the Bacup Times (military tag) and found the description of the hospital and some excellent images. I was impressed with the other aspects of Bacup history you have also included.

The 1915 photo's seem to be in the Summer (just guessing by the leaves on the trees) but there in an indoor 1915 photo which I was hoping was Nov/Dec. I have a tiny, grainy image of John Robert from a local newspaper, and I have been trying to match him to one of the men on your images.

I have just read a copied page from 1st Batt war diary and it seems John and many others from the Battalion were killed at 2.45 as they advanced to attacked a trench S.3.B.72, north west corner of High Wood.From my very limited understanding of these extracts it appears that the timing of the lifting of the British Bombardment of that area caused the casualties.

Regards

Jennifer

Hi Jennifer,

When you say indoors are you refering to the pictures that show bunting? My website infuritates me because I revamped it all last year and deleted the old site, however the old site is obviously still held somewhere in the great yonder called the internet so when im looking im looking at my new site I think youve been looing at the old site but if you are talking about the bunting picture I can probablly give you a biggger version :)

Hi jemm

Thank you for the kind offer, but I don't think I will find who I am looking for on it.

I have googled again - and looked at a different format of the Bacup Times. The site I have just looked at now, clearly has the bunting pictured named as Gala Day. I am assuming that would have been taken in Summer, before John Robert was there.

From the information on your site, it would seem that the hospital provided recreational opportunities that John Robert would not have had access to at home. I think his time there would have provided him with the most comforts he ever had in his short life.

Regards

Jennifer

Hi jemm

Thank you for the kind offer, but I don't think I will find who I am looking for on it.

I have googled again - and looked at a different format of the Bacup Times. The site I have just looked at now, clearly has the bunting pictured named as Gala Day. I am assuming that would have been taken in Summer, before John Robert was there.

From the information on your site, it would seem that the hospital provided recreational opportunities that John Robert would not have had access to at home. I think his time there would have provided him with the most comforts he ever had in his short life.

Regards

Jennifer

Hi Jennifer, Yes the gala day was in the summer months, I think july off the top of my head. The soldiers at Fernhill were treated to shows every week by the local churches, choirs and various other entertainment people, they also had regular outings, so yes I think considering the horrors most of them had just been through it would have been quite a stay at Fernhill. :)