Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Berkshire Regiment

nick84

Hi everyone, i'm looking for a bit of help..

I recently found half a photo of what i believe is the 6th Batt Royal Berkshire Regiment (it says what looks like 6th R Berks on their armbands) possibly taken at Brock barracks, Reading? I found the photo hidden behind another photo of my great grandfather William Harding, which i removed to scan. Unfortunately, what i can only assume was my greatgrandad has been cut out at some point (around 90 years ago!).

Having contacted several people about it on various websites with limited success i decided to join this forum, which appears to be a goldmine of knowledge, to see if anyone has seen this before, any information on where he may have been fighting when he was injured, and ultimately try to locate a copy of the full photo.

All i know about his time in the Royal Berkshire was that he signed up sept 1914 and was gassed out in march 1915, He later rejoined in the Royal Engineers as a motorcycle despatch rider, having being given a white feather by a woman in the street after he had returned home, and we have a few photos from then but nothing from his first stint.

Any help with this would be hugely appreciated. I can email a more detailed scan if need be..

Thanks, Nick

post-90947-0-85593900-1341411735_thumb.j

Was his full name William James Harding?

Lance Corporal 12102 was awarded the Silver War Badge. He enlisted on 5th September 1914 and was discharged, on medical grounds, 11th March 1915.

Kings Regs iii ( c )

Not likely to become an efficient soldier (recruit within three months of enlistment considered unfit for service)

He did not serve overseas.

Sandie

I've found another William J Harding:

Private 20966 Royal Berkshire Regt

Private 43302 Manchester Regt

Sapper (?) 357913 Royal Engineers

He was awarded the British War & Victory medals so first went overseas after 01.01.1916.

Address 69 Upper Basildon, Berks. Father George Harding.

France 30.06 16

Transferred to Manchester Regt 01.09.16

Transferred to Royal Engineers 13.01.18 (Pioneer?)

Posted to 1st Base Park Company 14.01.18

Thanks for the replies guys,

Yes it was William James Harding, not sure with the dates, however he did serve overseas somewhere (unless he was gassed in Reading!) he lost all his hair and suffered from the effects of the gas until it sadly got the better of him when he was just 50 in 1946.

He also then sevrved overseas for the Royal Engineers and whilst stuck in traffic getting to the front line, he picked up a cross that had fallen over, only to find that it was the grave of Frank Biddlecombe, his girlfriends brother. Very sad. Frank was killed in a freak accident in France when the balloon truck he was working with slipped off some duckboards and pinned him against a tree.

I'm not sure about the Manchester Regiment, i've never heard that from anyone, so would be more inclined to go with 12101 as that was a possible number we had looked up before (although can't prove it)

As for the photo, any ideas on where i may find the missing half?

His father was William Charles Harding so i dont think its him

Are you a member of Ancestry? http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?htx=View&r=5538&dbid=2456&iid=wo329_3116-00026&fn=William+James&ln=Harding&st=r&ssrc=&pid=479349

Lance Corporal 12102 Silver War Badge number was 180762 (I doubt that will help you identify if this chap is your Great Grandfather).

As for the other half of the photograph. My personal opinion is that it was given to a chap in that half of the picture or it went in the bin. You might be lucky and it's behind another photograph!

Sandie

yes im on ancestry, although not very good at navigating my way around it yet! thanks for the link, i'm pretty sure thats him.

There must be another copy of this photo somewhere surely?! , our one probably did go in the bin close to a century ago.

The search continues..

• 2 weeks later...

Nick

Just got back from the Hols and picked up your posting. I am a volunteer at the Regimental Museum in Salisbury and have picked up a bit of knowledge on Regimental images of the Royal Berks Regt. I have never seen anything like the one you have posted. I don't think the photo was taken at Brock Barracks as the 6th Battalion was formed at Shorncliffe (As were the 5th Bn). The barrack blocks in Brock Barracks do not have the verandas as shown in the photo. The Regimental History does confirm the problems on getting kitted out with uniforms. The Blue ones shown, we think were redundant post office uniforms. Not sure 100% on this one but we think the arm bands worn during this period (as shown in the photo) were different colours to signify the Company or platoon. The officers were kitted out straight away, in many cases having to purchase them. The old soldier sat front left looks like a South African War Vet and was probably serving at the depot on the outbreak of war or a recalled reservist.

If you already haven't done this have a look at the Museum Website at www.thewardrobe.org.uk. Once there tap into THE COLLECTION/BERKS/6th Bn and you will pick up what they have on the 6th Battalion. (Your man appears not to be there) although he may be on of the many unknowns. Also on the same website are the Battalion War diaries for the fighting Battalions, you might find them of use.

Can I have your permission to copy the photo and place it in the Regiment archives.

Hope that helps a little, and good hunting.

Cheers

MAC

Hi Mac,

Thanks for the info, it's odd that they were at Shorncliffe in those uniforms isn't it? Or would they have gone to France with those uniforms? Of course you can add the photo to the archives, I'm glad it's generating some interest! If you would like a more detailed copy, I can email this to you. I have had a look on thewardrobe but like you say there's nothing remotely like it!

If you,or anyone else reading this do ever come across the photo, please get in touch!

Nick

Nick

It appears they wore the uniforms for a while, but never went to France in them. The history states that whilst at Shorncliffe they were never billeted, but always under canvas or barracks (They don't say which one). They were assisted in messing by the 5th Battalion who were nearby. In October 1914 they moved from Shorncliffe to Colchester (Which is where I suspect the photo was taken) where they remained until May 1915. At that point they moved with the rest of the Division (18th) to Codford St Mary, on the Western Edge of Salisbury Plain. They moved to France in July 1915. As a point of interest the Medical Officer who went to France with the Battalion was Lieutenant H. ACKROYD who later won the Victoria Cross and Military Cross, unfortunately KIA.

Thanks for the opportunity to add it to the Regimental archives I will E Mail my E Mail address.

Hope that assists

Cheers

MAC

• 1 year later...

I've found another William J Harding:

Private 20966 Royal Berkshire Regt

Private 43302 Manchester Regt

Sapper (?) 357913 Royal Engineers

He was awarded the British War & Victory medals so first went overseas after 01.01.1916.

This William has a M/Chr Regiment Number consistent with the men that transferred to the 17th Battalion on 1/9/1916. They want on to fight in a failed assault north of Flers 97 years ago tomorrow.. I have a bit more work to do on this group, but I am confident 10 of the (81 M/Chr deaths in month) men that died after the 12th October 1916 Battle had been RBR men. I've built a bit of profile of these men and will look a bit more closely at the photo. More to follow....

Tim

Following my previous post, I've checked William's RBR number against my list that transferred to the M/Chr. 20966 sits fair and square in the middle of the group, the majority of whom attested in Nov. / Dec. 1915 posted to Reserve, joined RBR Battalion March 1916. France early July 1916. Attached to M/CHrs soon after and then transferred on 1st September. Following number sequences, I anticipate @ 150 men in this group. Some seem to have somewhat reserved occupations.

If this William is the subject of the OP, it's likely he was gassed in April 1917 onwards. No guess was used at Flers 97 year ago - as far as I have found.

Here's a link to my blog entry including a profile of eight of our RBR / MChr men http://17thmanchesters.wordpress.com/2013/10/12/anniversary-12th-october-1916-flers-losses-for-17th-manchesters/

Tim