Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal of St George

Guest lesley

Looking up a soldier yesterday on SDGW I found he had been awarded a Medal of St George.

Can anyone tell me anything about this? What was it awarded for and by whom?

thanks

Lesley

Lesley,

As far as I know the Russians issued a Medal of St. George in four classes, 4th up to 1st. The ASC picked up 14 of them in 1915 & 1917

Regards

Michael D.R.

Probably not very many,I'd be surprised if more than a Half a Dozen were awarded;The Medal is very scarce to British Recipients,especially Infantry,there was no need however for the recipients to have been serving with the Russians to have been so rewarded,as has been posted before in regard to "Foriegn" awards,they were often awarded "iner ~alia" between the Aliied Nations,it would have been approximately on a par with an award of the MM or similar

Guest Chip Minx

lesley,

I would imagine that the 4th class cross would have been the one most likely awarded, as it was given out in fairly large numbers. Here is a picture of one. There were two St.George awards, the cross and also a medal, both for bravery.

post-23-1092582599.jpg

Lesley,

The Medal of St. George (4th Class) is the last medal in the attached photo. This one was awarded in L/Gaz 25.08.15 - his MM was listed in L/Gaz 11.11.16, so clearly are for two different acts of gallantry. It was however quite common to be awarded in conjunction with a British medal in the mutual back-patting that the Allies indulged in from time to time.

Regards

Steve

Hi Lesley

Here's an interesting bit of information, taken from "The Medals Decorations & Orders of the Great War, 1914-1918" by Alec A. Purves:

"Shortly after the overthrow of the monarchy in 1917, it was ordered that medals of the Russian orders, bearing the Czar's portrait were to be worn back to front, treating the rev. as the obv., so that the royal effigy was hidden."

Best regards

HQ7

Both the crosses and medals were numbered on the reverse although to the best of my knowledge records were not kept as to what number was given to whom.

Take care,

Neil