Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A few more....

sawdoc34

DSCN5674.jpgDSCN5672.jpgDSCN5673.jpgJust a few more new additions- turks, M95s etc.

The missus is not a happy camper (dont worry S/S have a couple of new brits arriving this week),

Cheers,

Aleck

DSCN5708.jpgDSCN5707.jpgA couple more- DSCN5704.jpg

Ok, a few minutes free, so let's see what you have in this bunch... Well this one is the Czech version of the M95, so post 1918. This is the infamous 'ying-yang' stamp, which according to Old Smithy and generally accepted by all is actually a ZP in circle for Zbrojovka Praga, Prague (Vrsovice), and dates to the period 1920 to 21.

Trajan

post-69449-0-79204100-1341492439_thumb.j

And this one is another Czeckie M95, the stamp MO being (again, thanks Old Smithy) for Moravske Ocelarny - Moravian Steelworks. According to my records (but I didn't note the source - sorry!), in about 1920, the Czech's began to replace the M95 rifle with the M98 Mauser, and existing M95's were relegated to second-line units before being phased out in 1933, when many were sold to Bulgaria (I have one of these Czech-made M95's with Bulgarian stamps).

What is nice about both of your Czechkies, though, is that they don't seem to have gone to Bulgaria - no Bulgarian acceptance marks and no big fat crossguard rivets (the Bulgarians seem to have replaced the crossguards on most if not all of the ones they got with bigger and presumably stronger crossguard rivets. So, they are pretty unusual finds in this original state!

Trajan

EDIT: PS: And of course being made before 1921 both of these M95 bayonets just creep in under the bar for GWF studies!

post-69449-0-73295800-1341493321_thumb.j

This is a rather nice little baby - the scabbard re-uses the locket from the scabbard of a Turkish M 1887 or M1890! I like it!

Trajan

EDIT: How appropriate - I have just noticed that this is my 1000th post, and what better way to reach that milestone than with a discussion on a bayonet that was once upon a time in Turkey! (Thinks: actually, it's almost 16:30, so perhaps I can find my way to an Efes to celebrate this...!!!)

post-69449-0-31224800-1341493743_thumb.j

These two are also fun. The left one looks to be a S98 quillback that's been Turked and given a new crossguard to fit a Turkish 1890 (or the later 1930's rifle?)

And the right one looks like it might also have been modified to fit an 1890 or something else - check the distance between the top of the tang and the bottom of the muzzle ring.

Right, that's enough for now - got to go and pick the nippers up from school....

Trajan

post-69449-0-21431800-1341494428_thumb.j

post-69449-0-55813200-1341494539_thumb.j

• 5 weeks later...

Cheers trajan,

have a few other ex ww1 turked ersatz for you to test your skills on along with a few others.

Hope you have foune nice pieces at the antiques fairs mate, pity you cant have bayonets posted to you as have a couple of duplicates in the collection that would gladly send your way,

Aleck

...Cheers trajan...as have a couple of duplicates in the collection that would gladly send your way...

Aleck, always happy to help identify / coment where I can! As for those duplicates, well, I might be in Sheffield for a week Sept 05 onwards (my daughter is 'visiting' home on leave from her job in Peru...!!!), so who knows - I might take a chance and see if I can get one or two of you and get them in my check-in bags for the flight back! As for buying over here, well, not been much lately - but I did get a nice one at the monthly Antika Pazari today which I'll put up later on!

Cheers for now,

Trajan