Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Btn Welsh Fusiliers

Guest gen_wizard

Guest gen_wizard

Hi Pals,

I'm trying to help a young lady find out what happened to her great uncle and was hoping that a Pal might have the war diary for the Welsh Fusiliers covering events of 1st September 1918. If anyone has got a copy could they please contact me. Many thanks for anyone's help on this.

Mike

• 2 months later...
Guest Simon1066

Hello there,

My great uncle died in Aug 1918 serving with 2nd RWK. There are number of bookes etcwhich cover hat period. If you give me his name & number I can probalby help you.3

my direct e mail address is simon_d_birch@hotmail.com.

Regards

simon

Mike

There's very extensive coverage of this day in the book"The War the Infantry Knew". Worth suggesting your friend buy a copy.

By the way, the Forum's expert on 2nd RWF is Langleybaston1418. Wot he dont know, aint worth knowing. It's poss he's already started his rounfd the world tour as I've not seen him on-Forum for a while. in which you might have to wait till Xmas to get a resposne form him.

John

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Mike,

You may want to look at "Goodbye to All That." It is Robert Graves' autobiography. He spent a good part of his service with 2RWF during the war. He has great references to the service, traditions etc of the Second Battalion. I have a new copy, so I would assume it is still being published. It really is a great account of the war.

Regards,

Jim Higginbottom

2nd RWF is probably the best-documented battalion of the war in terms of memoirs. Not only 'War The Infantry Knew' and 'Goodbye To All That' but also the classic ordinary soldier's account 'Old Soldiers Never Die' by Frank Richards, recently republished in a fully-annotated edition. Fifteen years ago I was able to use 'Old Soldiers...' cross-referenced with 'War The Infantry Knew' to establish the exact circumstances of death of the father of an elderly lady I met on a battlefields tour. He was one of 3 2RWF men buried together in the cemetery. Looking at Richards and Dunn for the appropriate date I was able to establish that he was almost certainly one of the men killed by a shell concussion when they stood up to let Richards and his pals past after they returned from a trench raid.

Here I am, in Oz. Back in action early December. I have complete copy ORIGINAL War Diary [not the post-war typescript].

Please ask again in a couple of weeks and I will do the necessary.

Back to the river, 30c, life is hard, so hard. Singapore next. Someone has to do it.