Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Another ammunition query

Gary Samson

A friend of mine recently unearthed this live round in his back garden. In WWI his house was used as a convalescent home for wounded soldiers. I'm no expert on ammunition but this looks to me like a .303 round. The case markings suggest 1912 as the date of manufacture, and that's all I have really. Can you add anything else?

Gary

post-391-0-50019200-1340825631_thumb.jpg

It looks like the headstamp is "R^L 12 VII". If it is then it is a Ball Mark VII round made at Royal Laboratory, Woolwich in 1912 (as you thought).

The Ball Mark VII was introduced in 1910 and had a 174 grain spitzer bullet with a cordite charge. It remained the standard infantry cartridge until the introduction of the 7.62mm in the mid 1950s and continued until the end of the .303 round's life with the cadets in the 1980s.

Regards

TonyE

Spot on, Tony! I received a clearer image this afternoon which matches your suggestion exactly.

Many thanks

Gary

post-391-0-15706100-1340896910_thumb.jpg

I can't see from your first photo whether the bullet is in place, but it does look as though the primer has not been struck. If the bullet has not been pulled, then it looks like you have a live round, as you say. Sorry to be a pooper - it is unlawful to possess in UK without a Firearm Certificate.

It is also unlawful to remove the bullet and empty out the propellant, classed as the Illegal Modification of Ammunition. Although the law has not yet been applied to SAA to my knowledge but the strict letter and all that!

Ogilwy, that certainly used to be the case under the 1875 Explosives Act but the blessed Manufacture and Storage of Explosives Regulations 2005 allowed a saving when making/unmaking small arms ammunition, as long as the total net quantity of propellant and primer compound does not exceed 2kg.

The reference, should it be of use to you, is MSER Regulation 9

It is also unlawful to remove the bullet and empty out the propellant, classed as the Illegal Modification of Ammunition. Although the law has not yet been applied to SAA to my knowledge but the strict letter and all that!

Nevertheless, reloaders regularly do this with rounds where they wish to replace the propellant. I understand it's moderately difficult with Mk.VII because of the casemouth sealant and the stab or roll crimps, and devices such as kinetic hammer pullers may have to be used with sufficient force to drive some of the cordite sticks through the pasteboard wad, even if the sealant's been cracked by seating the bullet a few thou deeper.

Regards,

MikB

Mikb,

I do it myself when reloading. Do not however use an RCBS puller on an HEI or Incdy though. A friend of mine stated that the bits of flying plastic hurt when they hit you and you have to buy a new puller!

Oh the impetuosity of youth!!! ^_^

Rod

Mikb,

I do it myself when reloading. Do not however use an RCBS puller on an HEI or Incdy though. A friend of mine stated that the bits of flying plastic hurt when they hit you and you have to buy a new puller!

Oh the impetuosity of youth!!! ^_^

Rod

He may've been striking too hard. The trick is to let it bounce - the change of direction increases the inertial force considerably :D

I think the ignition of the propellant in a confined area might have over ridden all other techniques. Still it was funny on my end of a telephone and he's still not heard the end of it 20+ years on, (we're an unforgiving and unforgetting trade!).

Rod