Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Battlefield Archaeology at Doiran

awakefield

This is a Heads Up to let folks know that a pilot archaeology project is planned to take place this September 15th - 22nd inclusive) on the Doiran battlefield in the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia. Doiran is where the British Salonika Force fought it two major actions of the Salonika Campaign.

The project is being jointly run by the Salonika Campaign Society & Great War Archaeology Group.

We are currently looking for volunteers who fancy a working holiday, pushing forward this project on the very interesting Doiran battlefield.

The project looks to tie in with the establishment of a battlefield trail and museum in Doiran town, one gallery of which will cover the First World War.

So, here's your chance to explore a fascinating, if little known, First World War battlefield.

For further information either PM me here or go to the Salonika Campaign Society website and contact me.

Alan Wakefield

• 2 weeks later...

That looks really interesting Alan. Unfortunately the effect on my back and hip of a few days scraping at the remains of the Granathof at La Boiselle has persuaded me that any future support I give to archaeological work will be from a vertical position.

Keith

Hi Keith

Sorry to hear that your back suffered from your digging in France. I would hope that the work at Doiran would include surveying and a team will be going round interviewing locals for folk history connected to the First World War. So, there are opportunities to avoid scraping away with trowels. Hope this may help you think again about joining in?

Regards

ALAN

... persuaded me that any future support I give to archaeological work will be from a vertical position...

Keith, I have several WHS trowels that began life as 4 inch ones and that are now a shade less than an inch after several seasons of working on gravels and boulder clays... I can lend you one and then you can stick it in your back pocket and become an archaeological dig supervisor! Or, just buy a new trowel, remove the blade, fix handle and shank to a piece of thick cardboard, glue that in back pocket, and - eh, voila!

Seriously, best wishes with the back - my gammy right knee (from years of kneeling on the damn thing while digging) is playing up again, and so I can and do sympathise with you... :(

Trajan

• 4 months later...

In case folks had not realised, this dig did not take place.

The current plan is to organise an expedition in September 2013 to tackle several locations around Petit Couronne on the Djoran battlefield. Alan Wakefield should be able to provide more details in due course