Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What can you tell me about this soldier : Richard Wignall

johnjames

I'm sure someone will be able to identify his shoulder badges or his ammunition holder (?).

I can tell you that 2 men names Richard Wignall served in the Royal Field Artillery.

Gunner 669 Richard Wignall served in France from 20.09.1915. He was later renumbered Gunner 3032 and Gunner 696912.

Corporal 155038 RFA first went overseas after 01.01.1916

Did he survive the war?

Do you know where he lived?

He did survive the war but the photo is the only detail I have of his army career.He lived in Liverpool born 1891.Thanks

I'm no help, sorry. There are several service and pension records for men named Richard Wignall but they all seemed to live in the Preston and Chorley areas.

• Admin

I'm not an expert but the photo suggests the shoulder title is a Territorial Force. It would read ''T' then 'RFA' and finally the County, similar to the image here

http://www.qcmilitaria.com/rus/RGHb4.jpg

I don't know if you can enhance it or read it more clearly from the original

No badges of rank are visible which suggests Gunner (i.e. equivalent to private) and that puts Sandie's 669 and subsequently renumbered TF soldier in the frame, rather than the second one who appears to be a conscript or New Army volunteer.

Ken

No luck searching for a territorial number.

It's a studio photograph and probably taken here before he went overseas, a keepsake for his sweetheart perhaps.

Here are the options...

Richard Wignall.

Royal Field Artillery

Royal Lancashire Regiment

Liverpool Regiment + Machine Gun Corps

Cheshire Regiment + Labour Corps

North Lancs Regt + Royal Engineers

Loyal North Lancs

R Wignall

Rifle Brigade (Colour Sgt Major)

Suffolk Regiment + MFP

Hanson Battalion North Brigade

I normally stick to the RGA, but 669/3032/696912 are TF numbers. 3032/696912 more specifically indicates a member of 55 DAC West Lancashire or 57 DAC 2/West Lancashire. I suspect, but don't know, that the 669 may belong to one of the other West Lancs Brigades but he may may have been renumbered on transfer to one of the DACs.

Kevin

So, johnjames, this is probably your Richard Wignall:

Gunner 669 Richard Wignall served in France from 20.09.1915. He was later renumbered Gunner 3032 and Gunner 696912.

West Lancs would fit in with his home town of Liverpool.

He has 2 medal index cards. One for his 1914-15 Star (France 20.09.15) which was returned for amendment on 08.12.20 (Gunner 669 RFA). This is recorded in medal roll (T) RFA / 28 A.B

The other for his British War & Victory medals (Gunner 3032 & Gunner 696912) These are recorded in medal roll (TF) RFA 117. B.

Well done Kevin!

Thanks for this info ---its a real education.I had no idea that army numbers were so specific and could point to a particular regiment. what is DAC ? Thanks