Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German regimental markings

jscott

Hi all

I've been looking at a bayonet which has a regimental marking on the cross guard - and instead of the normal "R" or "L" etc, it has "ARD". Does anyone have any thoughts on what this stands for? Artillery Regiment perhaps?

Thanks, Jonathan

Nothing springs to mind, but I will have a look, might help if we know what type of bayonet it is, even if it is German it may be an export model and the markings may not be German.

regards

khaki

Jonathon,

I have been unable to locate, a reference to ARD, as it appears on the bayonet, you may well be on the right track with respect to it being artillery, however I can find nothing to support that, Hopefully others will be able to assist. Many times regimental markings 'letters' are associated with numbers, and the fact that ARD stands alone could suggest that it belongs to a training school or something of that nature. However that is only speculative and does not take you any further.

good luck with your research,

khaki

I've been looking at a bayonet which has a regimental marking on the cross guard - and instead of the normal "R" or "L" etc, it has "ARD".

If its Imperial German it certainly isn't a 'regular' marking, as the letter D is seldom seen with their markings, I'd be looking for an incomplete or partial stamping. Photos.?

That being said an Artillery unit would be my best guess. Their Fuss-Artillerie-Regt would be A.F... , while a Feld-Artillerie-Regt is stamped A.R... (but with extra numbers)

Many bayonets can be found marked to Rekruten-Depots and the like, but don't normally include the D ... but if I had to speculate without photos - "Artillerie-Regt-Depot".? :huh:

Cheers, S>S

Thanks all for your thoughts. Its an ersatz 1916 bayonet - Carter #4 I believe. I will keep looking into it and let you know where I get to.

Are you certain the second letter is R? I only ask because I vaguely remember that a mark AF designated a Fussartillerie-regiment... i.e., Artillerie zu Fusse...

Trajan