Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

unknown bullet

dikkins

Hello

My Grandfather was in the great war in 1915 and was injured having his arm blown off, I think he was rescuing his Captain, he was awarded the Belgian Croix de Guerre ,( I do not really know the story) his name was Wilfred Stirk ( altho i have seen mis typed war office records calling him William) , He rought this bullet back with him, as i was told anyway.

Can any one tall me what this is?

seems to be a large bullet and a smaller casing, so maybe a short didstance weapon? machine gun?

Any info would be great,

many thanks in advance

Chris

post-90890-0-52306300-1340465456_thumb.j

post-90890-0-12926200-1340465513_thumb.j

It looks to me very much like the cut-off front end of a .50" Browning Machine Gun ball round. There were some experimental weapons in this caibre from 1917, but the round wasn't officially adopted till 1921, so I don't see how he can have brought it back from WW1.

Regards,

MikB

There were some experimental weapons in this caibre from 1917, but the round wasn't officially adopted till 1921, so I don't see how he can have brought it back from WW1.

Regards,

MikB

There were some 11mm Vickers around used by the British for AA and the French and Americans as aircraft weapons but later than 1915.

I agree with Mik that it looks like a .50 Browning that has been cut just below the shoulder. The early versions of this round that were being developed in 1918 were initially rimmed anyway and there is no evidence that the experimental M1918 type ever got to France.

The British .600/.500 was also only experimental and in any case looked different. The 11mm Vickers, which was only a more modern loading of the Gras case, had a flat nosed bullet and looked nothing like the example.

Dikkins - I presume your example is just open at the "base"? Your round should look like this.

Regrettably, I am afraid it would not have served with your grandfather in WWI.

Regards

TonyE

post-8515-0-23628700-1340469378_thumb.jp

many thanks for your quick responses

The bottom of this is open although the person that cut it did a very good job,a machine cut maybe?

There are white ring marks on the inside,glue? or something, will try post a picture.

post-90890-0-27399600-1340471684_thumb.j

post-90890-0-13596200-1340471693_thumb.j

Hello

My Grandfather was in the great war in 1915 and was injured having his arm blown off, I think he was rescuing his Captain, he was awarded the Belgian Croix de Guerre ,( I do not really know the story) his name was Wilfred Stirk ( altho i have seen mis typed war office records calling him William)

Chris

Which records call him William, his service records name him as Wilfred?

he was called William in the london Gazette ( Friday 12.07.1918 )

( 5th supp to the london Gazette , )

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/30792/supplements/8169

then go to page 8184 .. he is called William, it is him ,as it is his Number (Wilfred Stirk )

I have a post open too -----

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=181728