Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

VCs and the Dorsetshire Regt

SPotter

Pals,

As a number of regular readers will perhaps by now have gathered I have a particular interest in the Dorsetshire Regt, particularly the 1st Bn during the Great War. It is therefore with some regret that I recall every once in a while that this fine Regiment gained the singular distinction of being the only one not to have earned a VC during the war. There were countless gallant deeds and instances of personal bravery performed by the various Bns of the Regt, many of which one assumes went unrecognised, but those that were never resulted in an award exceeding the DSO, MC or DCM.

The Regiment's contribution to the BEF and MEF was correspondingly smaller than their larger County counterparts, having only 2 Regular, 2 New Army and 2 Territorial Bns on active service. Could it therefore simply be a function of statistics? I would hate to think so.

I am aware of the requirements that had to be met in order for a recommendation to be considered for a VC (though a resume here by an 'expert' would always be appreciated), but can anyone shed any light on what other factors may have been involved? Was it a question of the survival of witnesses of sufficient standing, whether the CO was originally a Dorset man or seconded, whether the CO or Staff officers had a 'thing' about recommending for the VC, or simply quota? As far as I am aware, no deed of gallantry was even put forward for a VC.

Regards

Steve