Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Australian mounted uniform help

Albert Ross

This photo is my wife's Great Uncle taken around 1914. Unfortunately all we have is the photo as all who knew him have since passed away. My wife remembers meeting him when she was a very young child in the 1950;s but that is all we have. Any help ID'ing the regiment would be a great help

ANZACuncle.jpg

Hi Albert, as considerable discussion took place on the other thread, it would be very helpful to post everything you already know (name, DOB etc). I'm with the other respondents wondering if he was Australian?

This my first post on this site, but I did put it up on the miniatures page (TMP) and someone suggested asking here. The soldier's name is Charles H Jarret; he was born in Bristol UK in 1889 and appears on the 1891 census. The problem is, his mother died shortly after and the siblings were sent to stay with relatives - his younger sister (my wife's grandmother) went to live with an aunt & uncle, but he disappears altogether.

There is no record of a Charles H Jarret on the AWM records, so presumably he was adopted by someone else and took their name which he enlisted under.

Having looked at the other thread I believe it was posted by my second cousin on my behalf when we talked about it last year, as it's definitely the same photo. Apologies for any inconvenience!

Albert.

I don't think it is Australian, and certainly not Great War Australian. The jacket is British; the Australian jacket was different. The turned up slouch hat was not unique to the Australians.

Regards

Chris

This is not an inconvenience. No need to apologise.

I corresponded with your relative off the forum and we didn't come to any conclusion, except that this is not a photo of your relative when in an Australian uniform and is probably earlier than WW1 .

I have all my records from that time and would be happy to pass them on to you.

There is more information on the internet now so this time the search may be more successful.

CGM

I'm with Chris, I don't think he's Australian. Isn't the belt buckle British pre war?

Rgds

Tim D

Any photographic studio details?

Albert, really hope you find him. Here is a typical Australian uniform, photographed in Melbourne in 1916. Notice the jacket sleeves as one example. Cheers, Bill

post-66620-0-14060500-1340370800_thumb.j

The V shaped cuff on the OPs photo looks like it is piped, which would lean towards it being Imperial Yeomanry dressed mounted infantry style, as was common before 1908. The bandolier is also not of 1903 pattern.

Thanks gentlemen. Regarding the jacket, this photo http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee376/MenanglePark/P00912.jpg is supposed to have been taken at the light horse training camp at Menangle Park NSW in 1914 and the jackets looks similar. There is nothing unusual about being issued obsolete uniform (I was issued 1937 web gear in 1976!), but it's the belt buckle that really throwss this one off.

Here is the somewhat disappointing reply I just received from the AWM:

Thank you for your enquiry to the Research Centre of the Australian War Memorial.

Unfortunately we are unable to assist you in identifying the man in the photograph. It appears as though the photograph was taken either at the time of enlistment or prior to enlistment. This can be seen from the inconsistencies in the uniform, notably the belt and the boots. Photography studios often set up outside enlistment camps, and uniforms were provided to young men who had not already have been issued with their own. There are no marking on the uniform at all that would indicate which unit he would have been attached to, but as I mentioned previously, I do not believe this was his uniform but one provided by the studio. If this photograph was taken before enlistment, there is a small chance he may never have enlisted.

You mentioned in your letter that he and his siblings were sent to live with relatives following the death of their mother. Is it possible that he may have taken the name of the relative he was sent to live with? It may be worth searching under that surname.

I’m sorry I can’t be of more assistance at this time, but please feel free to email us again if any more information becomes available.

Entirely possible, given the lack of insignia. As I've been unable to trace who he lived with/was adopted by after his mother's death, the trail goes cold. If it was an aunt who married, there is no chance of finding the surname.

Before I do anything more is the family in #6 of the previous thread likely to be the correct one?

Yes, that's my wife's great grandfather and uncles

That's good. I was looking at the correct family.

In #6 I wrote:

In the 1911 census Joseph (a widower in 1901) had been married to Alice for 9 years.

William (aged 21) and Frank (aged 18) are still living with him.

There are also 3 stepdaughters.

I think George is married and living in Abertillery and working as a Colliery haulier underground.

This is not proven but I suspect the Charles Jarrett boarding in Devon is the remaining brother.

A Bristol family.

Edit - having looked at the 1891 census I am more confident that this Charles is correct.

This is why I think I tracked Charles down in the 1911 census:

In 1891 this is Charles, at home

JARRETT, Charles H Son M 3 1888 Bedminster Somersetshire

In 1911 (20 years later) this is Charles, boarding at 88 Union St East Stonehouse Devonshire

JARRETT, Charles Boarder Single M 23 1888 Laborer Petroleum Stores Bedminster Bristol

So no name change at that point.

Did he have a relative in Devonshire he could have gone to live with?

(In 1901, aged 13, he is still living with his father at 3, Davis Buildings, West Street, Bristol )

Looking back at my notes I have a summary of the family members in the 3 census 1891, 1901 and 1911 if you would like me to send this by PM.

I have just noticed something useful -

In the last thread Charles was Charles W but you say he was Charles H.

Last time I couldn't find a birth for Charles but I kept a Charles Henry in my file.

Regarding the jacket, this photo http://i1224.photobu...Park/P00912.jpg is supposed to have been taken at the light horse training camp at Menangle Park NSW in 1914 and the jackets looks similar.

Hi Albert,

I agree they are similar but the first photo lacks the collar flashes and collar badges of the pre WW1 Australian uniforms. Attached are a couple of photos of the pre war uniforms.

Regards

Chris

post-14124-0-10007500-1340871694_thumb.j

post-14124-0-25427600-1340871945_thumb.j

Looking at the passenger lists - England to Australia - it is debatable whether any of the brothers can be

definitely identified but there is usually very little information in the leaving records.

Is there a John Jarrett in the family tree? An older cousin, or maybe even an Uncle from Joseph's side?

Aged 29 in 1912?

Are you in Australia? You may be better placed to research their arrival. These records may have more information.

If you know where the brothers were residing at the outbreak of war this could give you an idea of where they enlisted and then lead to their unit.....

One thing about the hat - personally I have never seen one so stiff that it could be folded up with such a sharp crease. Is it self-supporting rather than held with a pin or stud?

Hopefully someone can explain this to me.

Looking at the passenger lists - England to Australia - it is debatable whether any of the brothers can be

definitely identified but there is usually very little information in the leaving records.

Is there a John Jarrett in the family tree? An older cousin, or maybe even an Uncle from Joseph's side?

Aged 29 in 1912?

Are you in Australia? You may be better placed to research their arrival. These records may have more information.

If you know where the brothers were residing at the outbreak of war this could give you an idea of where they enlisted and then lead to their unit.....

No, we live in Virginia, USA. I don't recall seeing a John Jarrett in my wife's family records (such as they are). There is no connection to anyone living in Devon, so far as she knows.

One thing about the hat - personally I have never seen one so stiff that it could be folded up with such a sharp crease. Is it self-supporting rather than held with a pin or stud?

Hopefully someone can explain this to me.

That would be a cap badge on that side. It does look quite similar to the hat in the second photo Chris posted; also some of the ALH hats appear to be quite stiff in photos. If I had to bet, I would say the belt buckle is a GS one like this http://www.arrse.co....=1&d=1334223940

I am pretty sure the bandolier is the 1901 pattern seen here http://www.victorianwars.com/download/file.php?id=1509&sid=fa189385d88f3190b7a36dd7804d888f

• 2 weeks later...

It doesn't look Australian - the hat doesn't look right for an Aussie slouchy.

Mick