Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sayfield

I have re-united the death plaque and medals of an English lad who went to Canada and returned to Europe giving his life in WW1with the 43rd Battalion Canadian Infantry. He was awarded the M.M. which was gazetted in July 1919 but because he was a private i cannot find out how he got it.

Any ideas please?

Sandon

Possibly the unit war diary may have some details as well.

Cheers Andy.

January 1 and july 1 were the honours lists, the majority of which are for general good service and seldom have citations, nothing to do with his rank. That being said, LAC have all of the CEF medal cards and with the service number you should be able to get a hit relatively easily.

Technically, the plaque and medals are a composite group - not a reunite as they would not have been issued at the same time and often with the scroll and paperwork coming seperately, and to designated NOK and independent to the medal issues. They were an stand alone service commemoration token, although it is certainly correct and great to have them together. Similar witht the memorial crosses in Canada - they always went the deceased's mother, but often end up with medal groups. The medals could have gone to other designated NOK, wife, child etc.

Sandon,

I've undertaken the task of searching for a MM citation. I explored ever avenue already mentioned above, but finally got a result with the young mans local paper! I did a bit of rersearching, Found out the name of the paper from 1914- 1918 (Internet),then discovered that micro film copies of the paper were kept in the local museum. Contacted the museum and asked them to do a bit reading (£) and get back to me. Luckily and to my utter amazement, this turned up in my mail box!

Happy Hunting,

Si

post-63055-0-54369800-1340985407_thumb.j

Sandon, the 43rd Canadian Infantry Battalion is perpetuated by the current Reserve Force unit; The Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders of Canada. You might try contacting them on the (admittedly slim) chance that they have something in their own archives:

The Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders of Canada

Thank you very much Simon and regimental rogue?? I shall try both of these avenues. It is so good to have suggestions from out there!

Sandon