Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pictures of Gustrow POW camp

7Y&LP

Many apologies if this info has been posted before, but website www.guestrow-history.de contains hundreds of postcards of Gustrow during the C19th and C20th. If you look on the section 'Kreigsgefangenenlager' you will find a hundred or so postcards of both Gustrow POW camp and some of its inmates from 1915 to 1918. There is at least one post card of British POW's dated 1917 and many more of French, Belgians and some Russians, a copy of one of the postcards is in my possession having been brought back by my grandad, it is of the cemetry and some of the markers have British names on, there are many more of the cemetry on this site. There is also a history of the camp, its in German so once the mem has translated it I shall put it up for you on thei thread.

Hope you all find this info to be of use.

• 5 months later...

My grandfather was in the SA Infantry and taken prisoner in March 1918; he was sent to Gustrow POW camp where he remained until repatriated in December of 1918. I visited Gustrow in 2011 to see what was left of the camp, but sadly there is very little to see. I found the actual site of the camp which now serves as a small airfield just outside of the town. I also found the memorial to those who died while captive, but it is in a very sad state indeed. Can one not report it to the CWGC?

post-2621-0-09950600-1354365602_thumb.jp

• 11 months later...

My Grandfather Thomas Hoban (1890-1973) enlisted in 1908 and was in Malta when WW1started returned to the UK and joined others and was captured during the first battle at Ypres October 1914 and sent to Gustrow.

Warwickshire regiment( no.1171) Discharged in the UK March 1919.

Any information about Gustrow Pow Camp-most welcome.

• 3 months later...
Guest Simon Ashley

I have just purchased a album containing a large number of Gustrow pics. I did not realize what an industry it was: there was an official photographer, a local man, and then many others who would have their photos approved and stamped. POW' s were allowed so many letters a month so the cards were popular with prisoners and guards alike. Wish you were here? The army group that captured the prisoners were wholly responsible for their accommodation and welfare and the camps were in the areas where the group was raised. No central organization . As such the cards must have represented a source of income. I will scan and post the pics when I receive them

• 1 year later...
Guest Davidjones312

I am also interested in any pics re Gustrow. My Great Uncle Pte Robert Charles Judge Regt No: 7700 1st Bn Royal West Surrey Regt died in Gustrow Hospital (according to the records) on 23 Febuary 15. Deployed with the BEF in August 14 and wounded in September 14 GSW to right buttock - ouch! Released from hospital and back in action believed captured in October 14. Not a very lucky soldier!

Look forward to seeing any images.

My grandfather was at Gustrow and I have many photos he returned with. He was also at Gettorf near Kiel and I have photos from there also. He was at Bullecourt when captured in May 1917. A letter I have dated from 1947 from a prison guard at Gettorf enquires after my grandfather's well-being following the second war. In his sketchbook is a drawing of a German guard who may well be Hoffman with whom he player chess.

I have very limited ability with computers but will attempt to get the pics scanned should anyone wish to see them

Finally, in the sketchbook is a drawing of a German sailor, I have read it was the German navy who released the pow's at Gettorf following their mutiny at Kiel, can anybody confirm this?

Simon

• 1 month later...

Hello Simon, interested to read that your grandad was an artisit, my grandad left an account of his great war service and wrote the following (he was also at Getorfd camp):'A chap of ours who was good at drawing. He made a sketch of a naked German with a mallet in one hand and a flea by the neck in the other. A German officer took a fancy to the drawing and claimed it. On the reverse side of the paper was a sketch of a half-starved German knawing a mongold wurzel. The artist got 14 days in cells for that'. I wander if your grandad was the artist in question. Regarding the end of the war my grandad wrote: 'A private Marine took the place of the officer at our camp after the revolution and he allowed us a lot of freedom for the rest of our stay. He let one sentry go with ten of our chaps to see the sights of Kiel each day. I was there when a lot of their battleships left for England, surrendered at the signing of the Armistice'.

I hope you get you scanner working as I would love to see what you have, my grandad was repatriated to the UK (Leith) via Copenhagen as part of the Danish Scheme, your grandad may well have come home the same way, there is a seperate thread on The Danish Scheme elsewhere on the forum.

Jon,

I found your post very interesting. Sadly I've no way of knowing if your artist was my grandfather. My mother is his last remaining child and has no knowledge of the incident you relate however she didn't know where or when he was captured or imprisoned until I began my research so I suppose it's not impossible.

Among the bits and pieces I have of my grandfathers belongings are a number of postcards of Kiel which I imagine he collected on his "days out". There are some others of Gettorf town which has barely changed as I visited 3 years ago. There are also some postcards of the German fleet at Keil.

I have looked into the Danish Scheme and haven't managed to confirm in my mind whether this is how my grandfather returned home. The spanner in the works is that I have a postcard from Warnemonde which states in his writing "sailed to Sweden from here" and also some cards of the King of Sweden and a Swedish military camp at Ljungbyhed. I haven't managed to find any other details of repatriation via Sweden such as boarding lists or troopships.

The note/sketchbook he left has a number of lists pertaining to groceries and tobacco parcels he received. The sketches are of a German soldier, a German sailor, what appears to be a work party resting by a railway as a train comes through and a view of Stockport Rd, Levenshulme drawn from memory which is rather accurate. There are also some names and addresses of fellow prisoners.

In your grandfathers account does he mention what type of work he was expected to carry out? My mother thinks her dad worked on railway building which may explain the sketch.

There is an account by an Australian soldier who was captured at Bullecourt the same week as my grandfather which I think also mentions days out. The account was written by a soldier called Dawson and it appears on an Aussie Government website, I'll post the exact address when I lay my hands on it. Dawson, like my grandfather arrived at Gettorf via Gustrow dispersal camp.

Out of interest my grandfather was Private Herbert Austin Thomas (32669) of the 21st Manchester Regt. I mention this in case you come across him anywhere during your research, I seem to hit a wall at the repatriation point.

Simon

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Simon

I believe there is some info about British POW's in Sweden in the POW's and repatriation thread, my grandad also had postcards from Sweden even though he did not go there (perhaps they were on a Swedish ship on return from Denmark or swapped with other returning POW's). I have no idea of the work he was employed on, though I have a feeling it was working in the fields. I did find a link on another thread to the IRC database, that has details of my grandads fate immediatly after capture, if you can find it they may be able to help you regarding Sweden, you could also google 'The Danish Scheme' if you have not done so already as there is a dedicated website to it and that may have details of the Swedish experience. Good luck and good hunting ! Jon

• 1 month later...

Jon

Had a glance at the notebook again and there is a small caricature featuring two men, one bears a shovel over his shoulder whilst the other appears to be waving an arm and stamping a foot. I really wonder if Bert was the "flea" artist!

With regard to your grandfathers account, I wonder if it would be possible to receive a copy of the POW section if only to glean a little more idea of life in Gettorf? It would of course not be used for anything other than my own interest. I'm still struggling with my computer ignorance and have not yet mastered the scanner though I think finding the instructions would be a start!

Simon

Hello Simon

I am happy to send you all of it, please let me have an email address to send it to and it will be on its way. The document I propose to send is a version typed by my late father, the original is in pencil and still in my possession. I have also found some accounts in the Regimental histories that tie in with a few of the events he mentions so I will add these as well. Best regards JB

PS What is a scanner ? :-)

Jon

What an amazing account! I've only read it once so far so haven't fully absorbed it yet. There is some wonderful detail and I only wish my grandfather's had written similar. Your mention of the smoking pipe is another coincidence as my grandads sketch of the German guard shows him in profile smoking his pipe! I have previously posted my wife's grandfather's account which stops at July 1916, it is not as graphic but nonetheless contains some interesting detail. If you search "1916 linen trench map" you'll probably find it. He won a DCM in 1915 and went right through from very beginning to the end.

When I've re-read your account I'll no doubt be in touch again.

Many thanks

Simon

Simon - glad you are enjoying the account, it does appear to be honest.

Jon,

I've just made a post on the other thread about the cards. Here's a rough index of them. I think when scanned I'll divide into category files so members can choose some or all of set.

1) 23 inside camp shots. Group shots, portraits,cast of camp show (proving half starved soldiers in drag doesnt equate to thinking man's crumpet), footy team and others.

2) 3 from Warnemunde

3) 7 from Ljungbyhed camp, Sweden, and surroundings.

4) 12 tourist post cards from Gustrow town

5) 12 tourist cards from Amiens

6) 7 colour postcards from Kiel including German fleet.

7) 7 colour cards from Rostock

8) 8 from Hamburg

And a few odds and sods.

Still interested?

Simon

Hello Simon. oh yes I am still interested it will be interesting to see how many are doubles. I was wandering if the 'swedish' cards were given out en-mass (by Swedish or Danish Red Cross ?) so the POW's had something to write home on but they kept hold of them instead (well our grandads did).

Jon

Jon

Can't answer that one. In a letter that turned up this weekend he mentions his time in "Denmark and Sweden". For a soldier/ POW who amassed around 100 cards, yet not a single one from Denmark,is a little odd. His Swedish ones are of the infantry camp where they housed the POWs and a couple from that area. No luck with my scans yet, I was going to mug a friend into doing the job for me but he's in Spain!

Simon

• 3 years later...

My great grandfather Archbold (Archibald) Anderson of the Gordon Highlanders was captured in Ypres on October 31, 1914 and transferred to Gustrow. He was released in 1918. I would very much be interested in any pictures of the camp.

Darrena,

this may sound odd in the modern world but I never did master a scanner and don’t currently own one!

However, I’ve not given up hope and may have a bit of time before New Year to try and solve my problem with technology ( i.e. I’ll try and enlist my teenage son).

I don’t know about Gustrow in the early years but do know by the time my grandad arrived, one of its purposes was as a dispersal camp, distributing POWs to various labour camps.

simon

Hello again folks, here are some pictures of the Gettorf and Gustrow poctcards I have, hope they help.

WP_20151013_22_36_27_Pro.jpg

WP_20151013_22_36_46_Pro.jpg

WP_20151013_22_35_47_Pro.jpg

WP_20151013_22_36_08_Pro.jpg

On 24/12/2018 at 01:09, mancpal said:

Darrena,

this may sound odd in the modern world but I never did master a scanner and don’t currently own one!

However, I’ve not given up hope and may have a bit of time before New Year to try and solve my problem with technology ( i.e. I’ll try and enlist my teenage son).

I don’t know about Gustrow in the early years but do know by the time my grandad arrived, one of its purposes was as a dispersal camp, distributing POWs to various labour camps.

simon

Thank you Simon. It's all good, and best of success with the pics. I heard the first prisoners to arrive built most of the buildings in the camp. I'm very much interested in finding out more about Archbold's time as a captive during the early years. Everything helps. Cheers!

Darrena,

im sorry to tease but I think one of the photos/postcards shows an observation tower under construction but I’m not at home to check. I also can’t say yet that it is Gustrow (unless it’s a local photographers stamp) as I believe my grandad was registered at Dulmen and Limburg as well as Gustrow and Gettorf but I’ve no evidence to say he was at either of the first two, more of a WW1 postal address I suspect while against the Geneva convention our chaps may have been assisting with German digging duties. I hasten to add that no doubt our lot did the same, why lessen your fighting strength if you have prisoners to dig latrines/bury the dead or perhaps other duties, if it went wrong for the PoWs surely as they were ‘missing’already they perhaps remained that way according to the ‘rules’.

I’m hoping to get myself a better device this week as I operate from my phone currently and if there’s anything left in my pocket I may even get a scanner/ printer also.

please don’t hold your breath for the photos as I suspect it may be ages before I work out how to drive either or both.

Simon

42 minutes ago, mancpal said:

Darrena,

im sorry to tease but I think one of the photos/postcards shows an observation tower under construction but I’m not at home to check. I also can’t say yet that it is Gustrow (unless it’s a local photographers stamp) as I believe my grandad was registered at Dulmen and Limburg as well as Gustrow and Gettorf but I’ve no evidence to say he was at either of the first two, more of a WW1 postal address I suspect while against the Geneva convention our chaps may have been assisting with German digging duties. I hasten to add that no doubt our lot did the same, why lessen your fighting strength if you have prisoners to dig latrines/bury the dead or perhaps other duties, if it went wrong for the PoWs surely as they were ‘missing’already they perhaps remained that way according to the ‘rules’.

I’m hoping to get myself a better device this week as I operate from my phone currently and if there’s anything left in my pocket I may even get a scanner/ printer also.

please don’t hold your breath for the photos as I suspect it may be ages before I work out how to drive either or both.

Simon

Thanks again Simon. I was staring at the post war picture of Archbold for weeks before I found this forum. Everyone here has been a great help. As expected, I have been given some great answers which opened up deeper questions such as Archbold's time in Gustrow.  I use to write years ago and gave it up until I was given the picture of my great grandfather. I feel I need to write his story, and this forum is providing a lot of hope. Every detail or hint thereof is appreciated. Thanks again.

• 9 months later...

WILLIAM HENRY DORMER, SOUTH IRISH HORSE (private, regimental #1142)

/COMPANY OF HUSSARS (regimental #74089)

ROYAL IRISH REGIMENT.  

He was the company trumpeter.

I have just discovered that my father was in Gustrow POW camp towards the end of WW1.

He never spoke of this experience.  And little of the War except for some light-hearted anecdotes

and particularly about his horse "Bumper"!  (We encouraged him to write about Going to War on a Horse!!)

However I have vivid memories of 11th November events in Dublin where he proudly carried

the South Irish Horse flag in St Patrick's Cathedral remembering his fallen comrades.

I cannot find any mention of his regiment or him on your website.

In 1922 during the Civil War in Ireland there was a fire in The Four Courts in Dublin and all records were lost.