Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Another German South West Africa Rifle

Terrylee

Upon the Union of south Africa entering the First World War in August 1914, she was requested by Britain to invade German South West Africa. This was primarily to prevent the use of its wireless station to relay messages to German ships.

At the time South Africa was short of rifles and Portugal assisted by supplying 20,000 Model 1904 6.5mm Mausers and several million rounds of ammunition to fill the gap. These rifles, known as "Portuguese Mausers", were issued to the South African troops being assembled in preparation for the invasion. However, due to the 1914 Rebellion in South Africa the campaign was delayed for several months, during which interval more .303 rifles appear to have been received. It is thus uncertain to what extent the "Portuguese Mausers" were carried by the Union Forces in G.S.W.A. Whether they were actually used in combat is doubtful.

These rifles did not prove entirely satisfactory. Some of the ammunition proved defective and the bolts were both fragile and difficult to reassemble if stripped.

Following the end of the campaign many of the soldiers involved were permitted to retain their Mausers and some were returned to the Portuguese authorities in Portuguese East Africa. The balance were disposed of in 1922. They are still relatively common in South Africa.

The rifle in the photograph bears the crest of King Carlos the First and also bears the Union Defence Force marking with the standard

U Broad Arrow.

Another nice looking rifle in very fine condition - I especially like the markings on the receiver, they are so crystal clear they could have been stamped only yesterday.! :thumbsup:

Also interesting to hear that these rifles were sent to SA at that time ... they are called the Vergueiro aren't they.? (Methinks I may now be looking for another bayonet.!) :rolleyes:

I understand that the Portuguese troops in PEA were still equipped with the Kropatschek rifle at the start of the war. Do you know if they also had stocks of this rifle as well.?

I believe the Germans commandeered many of the Portuguese weapons to supplement their own supplies, and used them to help equip their native askari troops in the bush.

Do you come across any of the Kropatschek rifles in SA.? I have this bayonet as the sole Portuguese representation at the moment, but is there any evidence of their use.?

Cheers, S>S

Shippingsteel, you are quite correct the M.1904 is also known as the "Mauser Vergueiro" after the Portuguese Captain Vergueiro who was largly responsible for the design of its Mannlicher-inspired action.

According to my information, the Portuguese Mausers received by the Union came direct from Portugal. I was unaware that the Portuguese troops in Portuguese East Africa were equipped with Kropatscheks. If so, the German threat would certainly account for the return of 2,000 M.1904 rifles by the Union Government! Whether this type of rifle was previously on issue in P.E.A. I do not know.

Bayonets for the Portuguese Mauser turn up in South Africa fairly regularly and although I expect that they originally arrived with the rifles, I have no proof of this. I attach a photo of mine.

I cannot remember having ever come across a Kropatschek in South Africa. So, if they do exist, they are certainly most uncommon.

According to my information, the Portuguese Mausers received by the Union came direct from Portugal. I was unaware that the Portuguese troops in Portuguese East Africa were equipped with Kropatscheks. If so, the German threat would certainly account for the return of 2,000 M.1904 rifles by the Union Government! Whether this type of rifle was previously on issue in P.E.A. I do not know.

Thanks for your reply - its good to have you onboard ... (I think us Southern hemisphere Pals should stick together.! Perhaps later we could talk Rugby - how are the 'bokkies' doing.? :thumbsup:)

Anyway getting back to the rifles, you don't tend to hear much about the Portuguese involvement in the war. And I must admit my interest stems from researching their colonial bayonets.

After coming across the M1886 bayonet for the Kropatschek, I then had to find out if it was 'eligible' for inclusion in my Great War collection. Any photographic evidence is very hard to find.

The best article I found was authored by our very own GWF Pal 'Bushfighter' aka Harry, which describes the Portuguese operations in the early part of their war from 1916. See article HERE

If you look at the first B&W image you can clearly see the stacked rifles fitted with the very long bayonets, and then in the second image there are 3 rifles which are rested against the parapet.

Its not a very clear photo but you can see the reflection coming off the action, receiver and back sight, which I think is a good indication they are also Kropatschek rifles. See page linked HERE

Anyway just a little trivia about what the Portuguese were armed with during the war. It would be interesting to find out when they actually got hold of the more modern Mauser-Vergueiro rifles.

Cheers, S>S

post-52604-0-77083700-1340149323_thumb.j