Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cap Badge and uniform markings

Don

Hello All.

I would be grateful if anybody could identify the markings and cap badge of the soldiers in the photos.

I think I can make out one .Two machine guns crossed on the cap.

Regards and thank you

Gerry

I was going to say Machine Gun Corps but he is holding a riding crop. Cavalry?!

• Admin

2 wound stripes in one photo. Definitely looks like MGC to me

Michelle

Thank you both, I did wonder about the riding crop.

The wound stripes,,I have a newspaper notice of one of my relatives. Joseph Cavanagh 9632 wounded 5th June 1915 2nd Batt Royal Irish Regiment.I think this is the chap in the photo

Gerry

I'm puzzed about the riding crop

Was it not likely that a photographer would have one, and suggest that his subjects hold it to help them pose?

Keith

The Machine Gun Club a.k.a "The Suicide Club". Perhaps an elite mounted unit of this Corps:)

Thank you Keith. that seems logical to me ..re the riding crop

Various branches of MGC...infantry and cavalry. Also possible that he was with their transport section?

TT

He seems to be wearing riding breeches too, from the fullness of the cloth on his left thigh, and I think I can just make out the buff lining inside the right thigh. Anybody agree ?

Just had second thoughts - yes looks like riding breeches, so the crop would fit. I missed them first time.

keith

Yep I think I can see riding breeches, but in a time when every Battalion had horse drawn transport, why not a MGC donkey walloper.

He seems to be wearing riding breeches too, from the fullness of the cloth on his left thigh, and I think I can just make out the buff lining inside the right thigh. Anybody agree ?

Not that his thighs were the first thing I was looking at, ahem . . .

Hello All,

Yes there are riding breeches in both photographs. Mounted machine gun corps? was there such a unit and when did they evolve.

Some of the Guards Machine Gun Regiments were formed from Household Cavalry. That badge in the photo has a bulbousness which might match the Garter device in the centre of the GMGR badge, distinguishing it from the MGC.

Definitely MGC in my opinion and perhaps a member of the Cavalry branch of that Corps, which was formed to support the cavalry formations and often equipped with the Hotchkiss Light Machine Gun, although they also had the Vickers. They were identified by a shoulder title MGC with a separate C above, as well as the usual bandolier, breeches, spurs and riding whip of a man on mounted duty. See: http://www.vickersma...units-mgc-c.htm And: http://www.machinegu...uk/history.html

No its MGC!

TT

Thanks to everyone so far I enclose a later photo of the same Man .He looks a little bit disheveled ,probaly because he has been in action and not as smart as his first photo

Thanks to everyone so far I enclose a later photo of the same Man .He looks a little bit disheveled ,probaly because he has been in action and not as smart as his first photo

The photo shows a better image of his MGC cap badge and his wearing of a bandolier confirms his mounted role. The MIC looks as if it states that at one point he was a part of the MMG - 'Motor Machine Gun' section of the MGC, but I cannot quite read what its says after that.

Many thanks for the info Frogsmile

Gerry

• 2 weeks later...

You're probably going to think I'm an idiot for suggesting this but I've just had a look at the second uniformed photo in cvanagh2 (4).pdf (I know it's not best quality) - could he possibly have a wooden right hand?

Simon

You're probably going to think I'm an idiot for suggesting this but I've just had a look at the second uniformed photo in cvanagh2 (4).pdf (I know it's not best quality) - could he possibly have a wooden right hand?

Simon

No, I don't think so. It is just the way the fingers of his left hand are folded and the knuckles protruding.

Re, post 16- as far as I know The Household Cavalry kept their own cap badges and did not use the GMGR cap badge- which has only turned up in pictures post 11-11-1918. Regards, Paul.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you everybody for your obs re my Relative Cavanagh... It looks like he was indeed in the MGC

I enclose a newspaper item on him