Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Some 1907 bayonets

jscott

Hi all

I recently picked up a number of 1907 bayonets and attach some photos of them below. They are in a range of conditions and some are in later scabbards. As best I can make out the details are as follows:

(1) JAC dated 3 '09, reissued '11 and '13. Obviously this bayonet had the hook removed at some point, and has been cleaned a lot more than I normally prefer, but I was sucked in by the roughly hewn quillon and the markings. The throat of the scabbard is marked (I think) to the Royal Irish Regiment.

(2) EFD dated 3 11' - another HQR, although this chap comes in a WW2 scabbard (Mangrovite '43). The bayonet seems to have been reconditioned at some point - the grips look to have been replaced (although screws are still vertical and aligned), the blade is brightly polished and the blueing at the base of the blade is very dark. Any thoughts on when this approach was taken? WW2 perhaps (hence the Aussie WW2 scabbard?)

(3) Wilkinson dated 9 '15 in its original scabbard (brown leather) and marked to the 9th battalion of the East Yorkshire regiment.

(4) Remington dated 11 '15. Scabbard marked "HGRT" - any thoughts what this might mean?

(5) Finally, a 1919 Lithgow. Not a WW1 bayonet however I thought I would include in the post as it sports the double ribbed scabbard, which I understand is fairly scarce.

I would be interested to hear people's thoughts on any of these bayonets (if any)!

J

Argh. Annoyingly I don't seem to be able to upload any of the photos as they are too large (despite the fact that using the same camera and program to upload - this has never been an issue before). I will try to work out how to do this and upload them soon. Sorry, J

Argh. Annoyingly I don't seem to be able to upload any of the photos as they are too large (despite the fact that using the same camera and program to upload - this has never been an issue before). I will try to work out how to do this and upload them soon. Sorry, J

J,

Hopefully, you will be able to post the photographs.

The scabbard mark " HGR " stands for the London makers Hepburn, Gale and Ross Ltd., of Grange Mills, Grange Road, Bermondsey, London SE1.

They were well known scabbard makers.

Regards,

LF

(1) JAC dated 3 '09, reissued '11 and '13. Obviously this bayonet had the hook removed at some point, and has been cleaned a lot more than I normally prefer, but I was sucked in by the roughly hewn quillon and the markings. The throat of the scabbard is marked (I think) to the Royal Irish Regiment.

(2) EFD dated 3 11' - another HQR, although this chap comes in a WW2 scabbard (Mangrovite '43). The bayonet seems to have been reconditioned at some point - the grips look to have been replaced (although screws are still vertical and aligned), the blade is brightly polished and the blueing at the base of the blade is very dark. Any thoughts on when this approach was taken? WW2 perhaps (hence the Aussie WW2 scabbard?)

(3) Wilkinson dated 9 '15 in its original scabbard (brown leather) and marked to the 9th battalion of the East Yorkshire regiment.

(4) Remington dated 11 '15. Scabbard marked "HGRT" - any thoughts what this might mean?

(5) Finally, a 1919 Lithgow. Not a WW1 bayonet however I thought I would include in the post as it sports the double ribbed scabbard, which I understand is fairly scarce.

Posting up these photos for our friend Jonathan ... I for one was very keen to see them, so here they are. First the overall group then some individual closeups to come ... enjoy.!

Cheers, S>S

post-52604-0-59546400-1340058620_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

Nice looking bayonets JScott, you gotta love these P07s, really look the part when stuck on the end of a SMLE :thumbsup:

May have another interesting 1 to post on here tomorrow, fingers crossed

...May have another interesting 1 to post on here tomorrow, fingers crossed...

Are you back laddie? We've missed you!

Trajan

Yes mate, looks like I have a full week off to clean bayonets but sure the dragon will have other ideas, probably have alist a mile long for me :unsure: