Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Oberursel URII...

Grovetown

I'd be grateful to learn what aircraft, beyond the Fok DR I and EV, were fitted with the 110 p.s Oberursel URII? And of all aircraft so equipped, which could be found over Macedonia/ Salonika/ Imbros and with what units?

Thanks.

Best wishes,

Grovetown

The aircraft that immediately springs to mind is the Fokker D.VI, which used the Oberursel Ur II. It was a handy machine that was overshadowed by the D.VII and saw limited front line service before being relegated to training schools. I can't find mention of the D.VI being used in action other than on the Western Front, although some seven aircraft were handed over to the Austro-Hungarians. They were fitted with Schwarzlöse machine guns by their new owners and may have seen combat service - most probably over the Italian Front, if anywhere.

A photograph of a Fokker D.VI is below.

post-25-1092462049.jpg

Thanks Gareth

I don't think DVI is the answer I'm looking for unfortunately. Looking at some DVI threads on The Aerodrome, Dan San asserts that only 43 were built (from an order of 60) and those were sent to 3 Kests for Home Defence purposes only. I think he is to be believed!

An Oberursel search on TA is not getting me far as there's trillions of topics with it, and the only aircraft that seem to turn up in this context are the DRI and EV - neither of which, as far as I can tell, got into the theatres I'm trying to pin down.

Best wishes,

Grovetown.