Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Iron Cross medals

Guest tazznz

Gidday all: New member here from new zealand..my question is How much should i pay for an Iron Cross 2nd class (WW1). I am interested in WW1 medals i have a few RAF ones but would like to add a couple of German ones to my collection. I have seen some on E-Bay for around 40-50 pounds and not being an expert they look ok (have makers marks on the ring). Should i purchase one in the hope its original or should i get them from a reputable dealer..

cheers

Scott

Hi Scott, you are about right with your price, anywhere from £30-50 I would say, and I would certainly go for the dealer option unless you find a trusted eBay seller who promises originality

Hi

I would suggest using a reputable dealer until you get the knowledge to be able to tell the difference between original & repro. This may mean you talking to other collectors & dealers in your area, plus looking at a lot of medals, so that you can tell the difference your self because there are a lot of very good repro medals about.

Good luck with your collecting, as it can be a lot of fun.

Peter

Just remember also that makers marks are irrelevant as a guideline for authenticity. On the plus side, WWI Iron Crosses are not faked to the same degree as WWII. Having said that, tread carefully!