Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

10th West Yorks Diary/ extra pages!

deano

Hi all, been transcribing copies from Kew of the diary for the 10th West Yorks regt. got to end of June 1918 then the next page and the rest of the diary jumps back to March 1918 ! Totally different place names, map ref's etc, any one know why ?

Dean.

Normally its because a previous user has split the diary up, and re-assembled it in the wrong order. Some diaries at Kew have virtually been shuffled.

I once found a diary that looked OK but on closer examination it had been re-assembled to include a section from a completely different unit..

That, apart from the wear and tear is why they are gradually being withdrawn to be replaced by electronic copies.

Keith

Hi Keith, thanks for the imput. There are some pages in there for the 7th Bn. !

But the problem I have is that all the pages I have transcribed up to the end of June 1918 have been in order, and as I say, the diary starts again from March 1918 with completly different place names and map refs etc. It's as though whoever wrote it got to the end of June and then started it again from March !

Example -

For the 2nd March 1918 I have transcribed this -

'Attack on BLUFF' 'SPOIL BANK demolished'

But the pages that go back to March again says this for the 2nd - 'moved to HEBBURN'

The bit of the diary I have yet to transcribe is titled 10th (S) Bn. West Yorks Rgt, the pages I have already transcribed are title 10th West Yorks Rgt.

Hope this is clear to all.

???

Hi Dean,

I got in touch with Dave Stowe last night and sent him copies of your posts. Dave is a bit of an expert on the 10th WYR. As expected he immediately solved the problem:

The first set of March diaries which include "Attack on BLUFF" "SPOIL BANK demolished" is from the March 1916 war diaries.

The second set of March diaries which mention "moved to HEBBURN" are the proper 1918 diaries.

The 1918 diaries cover the March offensive. Dave briefly covers this in his most recent article on Max Plowman in Stand To! re capture of PROA Simner and the death of Capt Douglas Hunter RAMC.

Rab

Hi Rab, literally just been at the dining table re shuffling the pages !! been in touch with David too, he sends his best to the forum.

A public thank you to David and Rab for their time and effort on this for me, cheers.

Dean.

Would just like to add that there are pages for the 7th Bn. West Yorks from 10/9/1917 to 30/9.1917, also a letter offering appreciation from Lieut. General Charles Ferguson of the 7th's efforts in recent months, dated 25/9/1917.

Dean

if you photographed these recently it might be worth passing the information to the Archives, as they would I am sure take note and try to get the diaries back into a correct order before they are eventually added to the digital exercise.

Keith

Hi Keith, apologies, you was right all along! And thank you again for your imput.

David Stowe has mentioned to me that he has informed TNA about the state of the Diary numerous times !!

regards

Dean.