Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RND/ R.N.V.R memorabilia collectors....HELP NEEDED PLEASE

greatbeanbags

Missing is a WW1 Death Plaque named to Sydney Vince or Sydney Rodney Cyril Vince....... R 609 SRC Vince AB R.N.V.R

Does one of you have? If so, I would dearly love to have it returned to me as his great nephew. If it turns up can you please let me know where?

This is the last piece of missing war memorabilia attributed to the 3 fighting Vince brothers from Monks Eleigh in Suffolk. I & my cousin are fortunate to have all other documentation/medal awards etc.

Thanks for your help.....in anticipation!

No sign of the plaque in the 20 years I've been watching.

John.....perhaps it will turn up somewhere soon! 20 years of watching....wow you should get a medal! Presume your interest is RND & RNVR topics from your signature?

Clive

Correct Clive. Been looking at all RND plaques since 1993 & also old catalogues from 1984 onwards. Don't give up is all I can say. It may well be within your own family, if you have all the other gear. I found the plaque to an RMLI 1914 Star trio last month & have found other bits to reunite, so it does occur infrequently. Am after the plaque to Clr. Sgt. Alfred Barnett BALDWIN RMLI meself, amongst others, to go with his 14 Star & RN LSGC.

Whilst in the subject I seek plaque, BWM and VM to go with the 15/15 star and post card I have to Francis Tebbutt (Nelson battalion, killed 13/11/16), relative via wifes side of family. I live in hope too.

Good luck all.

TT

John & trenchtotter...will keep an eye out for your missing memorabilia to Baldwin & Tebbutt. :thumbsup:

• 1 year later...

Whilst in the subject I seek plaque, BWM and VM to go with the 15/15 star and post card I have to Francis Tebbutt (Nelson battalion, killed 13/11/16), relative via wifes side of family. I live in hope too.

Good luck all.

TT

Um me too....

I'd like to find any medals/awards/plaques of my great grand uncle's:

Sub Lt D Francis (Thomas "David" Francis) ,London Z/1561, MiD, RNVR, Nelson Battalion, RND. KIA/Missing 13 November 1916.

I'd be grateful to know if anyone recalls ever coming across them in the collectors market etc etc.

Cheers,

Thomas

Good luck all.

TT

Hello TT,

Do you, or anyone in your family, know anything about your relative's service in Nelson Battalion and the RND? I'm especially interested if there may be any family anecdotes (diaries, letters etc) about his experiences etc. Not only was my great grand uncle in Nelson Bn with Francis Tebbutt, but he also was killed in the same battle, on the same day.

I'm researching my gg uncle and I'd love to be able to "compare notes" about what we each know about our Nelson/RND relatives. There's no question that your Francis and my David shared many of the same experiences.

Cheers,

Thomas

Thomas, alas no family info. I had the privilege of knowing his brother Robert. The only brief story is how he marched away to war. Family never knew he was killed on the Somme till I started researching. I have his 14 / 15 star and a PC of him in sailors uniform with RND cap tally. Have walked the fields above the Ancre many times and located the site of the Redoubt that accounted for so many of them. I have the Div History also.

Regards

TT

I can't help directly, but this may give you hope. As part of our school project the students wrote an article in the village magazine explaining their research and giving the biographies of three local casualties. On Friday I received a phone call from a local man who had read the article. He had dug up a death plaque in his garden 30 years ago and kept it ever since, hoping one day to return it to the family of the casualty. I recognised the name immediately; he was a pupil at our school, listed on the war memorial, and his niece still lives locally. He was an RNVR telegraphist killed when a requisitioned trawler hit a mine. The plaque sits in front of me at the moment. The niece was extremely helpful when we contacted her previously to obtain a photo, and I can't wait to see her reaction when the plaque is handed over next week.

• 4 weeks later...

Wow....just read this...the niece of this RNVR man must have been delighted. It continues to give me even more hope that my great uncle's death plaque will come to light in the years ahead as events of the Great War are revisited on the TV & in other media. My thoughts are that someone will put up for sale on eBay where I have posted a permanent watch. Thanks for your interesting post.