Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Marksman Qualification Badge - Sergeants

Peter Zieminski

Someone told me that Sergeants were not entitled to wear marksman qualification badges on their sleeves but I came across this photo which seems to contradict this - Can anyone clarify the position? I'm sure it must be covered in Regulations somewhere. Many thanks.

post-9943-0-54118800-1339580302_thumb.jp

Not unusual and not strictly official. Officers and NCO's were not supposed to wear trade or proficiency badges as they were expected to be proficient in their "trade".

I thought Marksman badges carried a crown above crossed rifles and Rifleman, First Class a star. Simple crossed rifles meant Rifleman, Second Class. But that was in the 1960s and WW1 may obviously have been different.

Regards,

MikB

Crossed rifles signified a 1st Class shot in WW1.

Crown and/or Star above crossed rifles were prize badges mostly pre WW1.

I have found a chart in "Tommy's War " by Peter Doyle which illustrates three badges for marksmanship in Cavary, R.E. and Infantry - and has the following note against each ...

No 237 - Crossed Rifles with a Crown within a bay leaf wreath - Best shot in the Regiment or Battalion

No 238 - Crossed Rifles with a Crown - Best shooting Squadron or Company in the Regiment or Battalion

No 239 - Crossed Rifles with a Star - Best shot in the Squadron or Company or Band

There is a footnote for No 237 which says - For Sergeants and Lance-Sergeants and for No 238 - For Section Commanders

A bit of misinformation above. This from Clothing Regs 1914.

Crossed rifles of all grades were a "skill-at-arms" badge and, as such, to be worn lower left by Infantry, cavalry and RE.

They could be worn by all ranks up to and including all types of Warrant Officer II class.

Officially in worsted, but many gilding metal ones were made and worn.

The regulations are not entirely clear as to whether ADDITIONAL crossed rifles badges could be worn on the left arm, but the fact is they often were.

The additional badges numbered four.

From the least to most prestigious:

with five point star, best shot company, squadron, band etc.

with five point star surrounded by wreath, best shot unit among junior ranks [up to full corporal]

with crown, surrounded by wreath, best shot unit L/Sgts and above, up to WO II

also

The rifles with crown were to be worn by all section commanders [sergeants and above in practice] of best shooting company etc.

The crossed rifles was also a badge of appointment, upper right arm, for qualified instructors.

Note that, whereas these badges can all be seen on arms in 1914/15, the annual unit shooting competitions were put in abeyance during the war, so all except the crossed rifles became very scarce "in wear"

Many thanks for the above information - the reference to the 1914 Clothing Regulations is exactly the clarification I was seeking - Thanks again.