Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Munitions Factories - anything left?

RobL

I recently round out about the remains of Swynnerton ROF Factory of WW2, and I was wondering if there is anything left of any WW1 munitions factories, especially filling factories? I'm aware of the superb museum and remains at the Royal Gunpowder Mills at Waltham Abbey, and of course a number of original buildings remain at the Woolwich Arsenal, but I was wondering if there is anything else, even just a few bricks and a rough visible outline, of anything else of the WW1 factories

There are a few.

Ardeer was an explosive manufacturing plant throughout both world wars and is still in operation I believe. Priddys Hard at Portsmouth, now the "Explosion" museum did some filling of naval munitions and there are the remains of a couple of cordite factories as well.

I cannot think of any actual government filling factories still extant though.

The Hotchkiss factory was still standing empty in Coventry a couple of years ago and of course there are any number of companies that made munitions during WWI that still exist today.

Regards

TonyE

There is a community museum called The Devil's Porridge at Eastriggs, Dumfried and Galloway, which tells the story of the building of the munitions factory in the area. The works were enormous, and produced more munitions than all the rest of the UK combined. Whole new towns were created for the workers in the giant works near Gretna. Should you be up that way, it is well worth a visit.

Bruce

The Hotchiss factory building was purchased by Coventry University in 2000 and still stands. Some buildings which were part of White and Poppe, still stand on the site which is now owned by Dunlop Aerospace.W&P was a major fuze filling factory. In Red Lane, the old Coventry Ordnance Works, established in 1905, stands largely intact, as part an industrial estate. Of particular note is the Number 1 Gun Shop which manufactured naval gun barrels. Amongst other things it also produced the 15 inch howitzer and the 4.5 inch howitzer, designed by the factory pre-war. The factory also had a fuze manufacturing plant a few hundred yards away, some of which still exists.

TR

There are several of the tunnels belonging to the filling plant at Chilwell Nottingham still left. They are in good repair (or were 10 yrs ago when I last visited), but not accessable to the public as they are still on MOD land.

Rod

In Wrexham munitions were made at the Cambrian Iron Works which was located right next to the Wrexham General Station. Most of the structure was demolished in the 80's, but some parts of the walls and railway sidings and other such things still remain.

Will

As an extra to my previ0us post attached is a photo from the Cambrian works in Wrexham during WW1

Regards

Will

post-51029-0-04499200-1339590066_thumb.j

post-17223-0-80751600-1339597686_thumb.jBSAArmouryRdSmallHeath2.JPG

Nothing left of Birmingham's great munitions firms - Kynoch of Lion Works, Aston (later IMI), Austin of Longbridge, Wolseley of Saltley/Bordesley Green, GEC of Witton, Mills grenade factory, Bridge Street West, Lucas of Hockley. Bham Railway Carriage Co, Smethwick and 'Metro-Cammell' of Saltley. I am not sure what might be left at Drews Lane which was a National Shell Factory.

This is what is left of the BSA in Armoury Road, Small Heath.

The magazines of the former Rotherwas shell factory (used in both WW1 and WW2) remain on the Rotherwas Industrial Park at Hereford. They are scheduled for demolition later this year. 12 inch shells were stored there.

ROF Birtley has recently closed, moving production to a new site in Washington. I think they are demolishing the old site right now.

My Dad, a former employee, has been writing a history of the factory for BAE Systems, the current owners.

The factory was originally operated by the "Birtley Belgians" in 1915.

The Hotchiss factory building was purchased by Coventry University in 2000 and still stands. Some buildings which were part of White and Poppe, still stand on the site which is now owned by Dunlop Aerospace.W&P was a major fuze filling factory. In Red Lane, the old Coventry Ordnance Works, established in 1905, stands largely intact, as part an industrial estate. Of particular note is the Number 1 Gun Shop which manufactured naval gun barrels. Amongst other things it also produced the 15 inch howitzer and the 4.5 inch howitzer, designed by the factory pre-war. The factory also had a fuze manufacturing plant a few hundred yards away, some of which still exists.

TR

This would have been one of them.

Mick

post-11859-0-50121800-1339605896_thumb.j

• 4 months later...

Mick, that's a lovely item - can I ask where you acquired it from? Never seen an artillery data plate for sale, would be a lovely piece to find

I have had it for years, I can't be 100% but I think I bought it from a general antiques dealer who had it passed on to him with a lot of brass safe manufacturers plates. The wood mount was being sold as a mount for a trophy and fitted pefectly.

• 1 year later...

There are remains of the gunpowder mills at Chilworth in Surrey which are accessible; Although still in use during WW1, they date back to far earlier having been established by the East India Company in 1626 Click. English Heritage listing Click. 'Googling' will find details of several walks around the area.

NigelS

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

National Explosives Factory, Upton Towans, Hayle , Cornwall, plenty of stuff on google.

John

There was an item on Countryfile last night on BBC1, only caught the end but some surviving structures exist of a filling factory near a beach in Carmanthenshire.

Mike.

• 4 weeks later...

That would be at Penbre (Pembrey) between Llanelli and Carmarthen.. The factory developed from the village and on to Cefn Sidan beach. It was developed massively during WW2 and bombed by the Luftwafer. Not to be confused with the Airodrome used by first Fighter, then Bomber, Commands and which is now a prime motor racing circuit.

Edited by geraint

There was some interesting footage of Woolwich during the Great War on 'Who do you think you are' on BBC1 last night.  The grandfather of actor Warwick Davis, was working there during that period..

Mike.