Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Sergeants stripes with Brass Machine Gunners Badge!

Grandpacarr

Just Recently Bought A WW1 Sergeants Stripe and attatched to the Lower portion of the stripes is a WW1 2 part Machine Gunners badge consisting 1x part MG and

the 2nd part is the wreath I personally have not seen this version of sergeant stripe with brass badge as an attachment, I would appreciate any comments Regards Grandpacarr

post-55186-0-33160700-1339544434.jpg

post-55186-0-93319000-1339544456.jpg

post-55186-0-91960900-1339595391_thumb.j

Assistant instructor Vickers MG possibly but may be MGC (Cavalry) as many of the Cavalry regiment NCO's wore a smaller version of the their cap badge or other device either on or above their chevrons and a Cavalry NCO transferred to the MGC might just keep up the tradition.

Or it just might be that the original owner wanted to keep his qualification badge and chevrons together.

I am sure that others will have an opinion. Grumpy and Frogsmile are the chaps I reckon.

The two-piece badge is frequently seen: it made sense to make wreaths and letters separate: also

O, R, LG, and a few more rarities.

I reckon the wearer was indeed an asst. instr .......... , in most cases only officers were appointed "instructor".

I have seen another Sgt. chevrons with a qualification badge pinned on like this. Could be an unofficial way of wearing it, or could equally be a postwar memento. Unless a photo turns up I doubt we'll ever know.

Yes, the cavalry in particular were fairly prone to superimposing appointment etc. badges on ranking .......... I have no note on anything official but it happened. I am sure there are some in Linaker's et al superb book on Cavalry arm badges.

One of a MGC (Cavalry) Sergeant with a MGC collar badge (only issued to Guards MG officially apparently) above his chevrons right arm considered to be "in the Cavalry tradition".

Also states that the Official MG Instructor's badge (usually Assistant Instructor for NCO) was the MG in a wreath worn above the chevrons.

Thank you for your replys to this post, I have a good idea what I have bought now,and it`s all good