Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Markings on a 303 round

niimmm

Hi guys,

Just rediscovered an old tin of mine and inside are eight deactivated 303 rounds. Having examined them I notice they all have the same makings on the bottom

KN 14

VII

I wonder if anyone here can tell me the meaning of these figures. Thanks a lot

SImon

Hey

KN = Kings Norton of Birmingham

14 =1914

VII = the MkVII round, a 174 grain pointed nose, cupro nickel jacketed bullet

Gaz

Or to be more pedantic (as is my wont), KN is Kings Norton Metals Co.Ltd of Kings Norton , Birmingham.

KN were considered to make some of the best .303 inch ammunition during WWI and their ammunition was preferred for air service use as it was reliable in both performance and dimensional tolerances. They made much of the experimental air service ammo later in the war (RTS etc.)

In total thay made about 583,430,000 rounds of Mark VII during WWI as well as large numbers of tracer, Buckingham incendiary and experimental rounds.

Regards

TonyE

Tony,

You need to get out more mate! We need to go and drink some serious quantities of alcohol, (however I could guess the subject that the conversation would end up on!!!) :thumbsup:

Rod

The trouble is young Rod, that everytime I do go out it is with people who are in the system, (and you know who many of them are) and they all force me to drink copious amounts of red cough medicine whilst talking about bullets etc!

Cheers

TonyE

Or to be more pedantic (as is my wont) ...

Surely NOT, that can't be right.! :w00t:

(I think we need to start a very serious discussion [read argument] here, about the insertion or otherwise of a comma in that passage above.!) :hypocrite:

Cheers, S>S