Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Portuguse soldier awarded the Victoria Cross (sic)

AnthonyStaunton

The Wikipedia List of Victoria Cross recipients by nationality was recently amended to include the name of a Portuguese soldier, Private Aníbal Augusto Milhais for the Battle of La Lys, April 1918. I reversed the amendment but prehaps he was one of two Distinguished Conduct Medals (DCM) or one of the 76 Military Medals (MM) awarded to Portuguese troops in the First World War. If anyone could confirm either a DCM or MM to Private Aníbal Augusto Milhais please let me know or update the Wikipedia talk page talk page at http://en.wikipedia...._by_nationality.Photograhs of Private Aníbal Augusto Milhais and his medals appear at http://www.hat.com/Othr8/Nuno43P.html

Certainly no one of that name in the Gazette.

Thank you for checking.

I should have mentioned that awards to foreign soldiers, although there were exceptions, were usually not gazetted.

I think there may have been confusion with the Cruz di Guerra - second from left on the display on the website - sometimes referred to as Portugal's 'Victoria Cross'.

I think there may have been confusion with the Cruz di Guerra - second from left on the display on the website - sometimes referred to as Portugal's 'Victoria Cross'.

Not only was there confusion in the claim, the first sentence of the Wikipedia article that he was ‘awarded the Ordem de Torre e Espada do Valor, Lealdade e Mérito (Military Order of the Tower and of the Sword, of Valour, Loyalty and Merit) on the battlefield instead of the usual public ceremony in Lisbon’ is also unclear. Is it saying that he was presented with his award in the field instead of back home?