Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Remembering 15th August 1915

steve fuller

(I wont be here Sunday 15th, so please excuse the early posting!)

Remebering the gallant, untried Territorials that charged along the Kiretch Tepe Ridge towards Kidney Hill 89 years ago. To the men from Bedfordshire, Finsbury and Hackney that didnt falter in their first battle.

“It was a great and glorious charge, but the position was won at terrible cost. The whole advance had been made with bayonets fixed and when the final stage was reached and the order to charge rang out the men dashed to the attack. There was no stopping these unblooded British Troops. London, Essex and Bedford Territorials charged together, but the Bedford men outstripped the Regiments on right and left and dashed into the lead, causing the line to form a crescent and sweeping everything before them. Turks went down before cold steel in hundreds, and those who were not killed turned and fled. The Battalion held the position for a further 48 hours, displaying a skill and tenacity any Regular unit would be envious of, and were only withdrawn to straighten the line out”.

(‘The Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire Regiment’ by GW Peters.)

And certainly not forgetting the Irish 10th Division, who's charge this really was!

For my Great grandfather, who survived this charge - and many more - but eventually fell in 1918.

Hi Steve,

Remembered your men yesterday. Had gotten through a beer before I thought of them, so was forced to open another to toast them! Well it was dry on Gallipoli 89 years ago!!

Ar dheis De go raibh gach anam.

Regards,

Liam.

Hi Liam

Thanks mate. Did the same myself funnily enough. Got through remembering 2 platoons then had to go to bed for work :angry: . Suppose all they got was a tot of rum or something? The shame of it is that Im 'half Irish' too, so have got loads of toasts left if I run out of 'Beds' ones!!

So, what does the phrase translate to?

Steve

Hi Steve,

The phrase translates as " may they all be at God's right hand". I'm not particularly religious (five years in a Catholic boarding school put paid to any I might have had ;) ), but it is a traditional salute to the dead over here.

Regards,

Liam.

Hi Steve,

The phrase translates as " may they all be at God's right hand". I'm not particularly religious (five years in a Catholic boarding school put paid to any I might have had ;) ), but it is a traditional salute to the dead over here.

Regards,

Liam.

Boarding school? Can imagine mate!

So is 'over here' Turkey?

Hi Steve,

Nowhere as exotic as Turkey, I'm afraid. West Coast of Ireland, where palm trees and turnips grow side by side. The phrase is Irish!!

Regards,

Liam.

You have told me West Coast before, sorry Liam! Memory like a seive. Being an Englishman in Wales, but half Irish gets me confused sometimes ... ;)