Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Aldershot 1918 - Odd badges?

Gunner Bailey

The photo attached is from a graduation photo of F Company 51st Battn The Rifles in 1918. In the front row is an officer, probably on the Aldershot staff. I at first thought that his badges could be West Yorkshire but then noticed that the horse seems to have a rider. I then thought they may be Lamb and Flag for the Queens but there seems to be possible a double scroll under the 'horse - sheep'. The Cap badge looks more standard West Yorks.

Comments on the collar dogs would be appreciated.

Quality is probably as best I can get as this is a tiny section of a 11.5" X 4.25" photo.

Thanks

John

post-8629-0-97462400-1339058428_thumb.jp

Definately Queens West Surreys. The 'rider' on the collars is the pennant. The angle of the sheep's knee is quite distinctive but the pennant is either missing from the cap badge or is hidden by shadow..

It is the Queen's (Royal West Surrey Regiment). The Cap Badge and Collar badges would be Officers' Service Dress Bronze versions of the Paschal Lamb with flag insignia.

Hope this helps

Sepoy

NB Just beat me to it Max

In full agreement with Queens (Royal West Surrey) but please note that 22nd and 24th County of London Battalions also wore the the Regular pattern badge - it's a problem that's bedevilled me for years in trying to authenticate photo's of the London Battalions for my collection. That said he may have worn the 'T' collar badge if he was a Territorial.

That seems to be emphatically solved. Thank you gentlemen. I think it was the cap badge that puzzled me as much as the collar badges. Being half shaded it does look rather like the West Yorks.

Sadly I don't know the name of the officer.

John