Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Uniform help please!

Nje1964

I am trying to track down information on my GUncle Percy Climo. There would appear to be no medal roll record which would imply he didnt see service overseas. I have some photos of him and am trying to identify them. Any additional info would really help me on my search.

I also have photos and more information about one of his close friends Walter Peake( also my GMothers fiance) who died of wounds in the local cottage hospital on 20.10.1916. It is likely that they joined at the same time.

Walters's info:

No: 3136 49287

enlisted in Macclesfield

Cheshire Regiment

1st Battalion ( as per his CWGC records)

His enlistment papers : 7(1 RES) Cheshire Regiment.

I am hoping that you can help. There are 2 different uniforms in the photos, 1 much smarter and elaborate than the other.

Photo is Walter, he has written on the back names which I can provide

Photo 3 is Percy. He has managed to tame the Climo hair very sucessfully!

Another photo of Percy, with the two uniforms.

post-90549-0-84977700-1338974794_thumb.j

post-90549-0-45834100-1338975324_thumb.j

post-90549-0-72435200-1338975407_thumb.j

post-90549-0-16154100-1338975703_thumb.j

Hi - is he this man?

Name: Percy Hill Climo

Regiment or Corps: Royal Garrison Artillery, 23 Mtr Battery, 2 Indian Mtr, Arty Bde, Royal Garrison Artillery

I was wondering if it's a generic Artillery badge, but I'm sure an expert will be along to confirm one way or the other.

ETA: looking at the MIC, PHC started the War as a Major and served in theatre "4.17".

Just an FYI of which you may be aware,

In the middle head and shoulders portrait, he has a jacket button covered with black cloth in mourning. This was officially sanctioned (someone can provide you with the precide scope of the rules) to mourn the loss of a close relative (Father/Son/Brother I think) in the war. This may help you date the picture more precisely if you know of other relatives who were killed.

I don't think this would officially have applied for the friend you mention but...

Chris

I'm not sure it is artillery. The badges are indistnct but they don't look like RA. The dress uniform appears to have white facings (collar and cuffs) which would place it as one of the infantry regiments.

I have tried zooming in on the cap badge but to no avail. A closer shot of the caps might be useful

Regards

Chris

...In the middle head and shoulders portrait, he has a jacket button covered with black cloth in mourning. This was officially sanctioned (someone can provide you with the precide scope of the rules) to mourn the loss of a close relative (Father/Son/Brother I think) in the war.

I'm fairly certain it was actually the opposite - one of the "Handy Hints" style books I've read specifically mentioned this as an example of something that wasn't allowed on parade. Tolerated under other circumstances perhaps.

I'm fairly certain it was actually the opposite - one of the "Handy Hints" style books I've read specifically mentioned this as an example of something that wasn't allowed on parade. Tolerated under other circumstances perhaps.

Oh really? Well, I stand corrected It is common enough in photos I was sure it must have been official. I thought I had read on here somewhere of under which circumstances (and for which relatives) it was permitted but I have been unable to track it down so you are probably correct.

Chris.

Agree with Andrew. Not to be worn on parade, at Tattoo or on guard duty. "Tolerated" as Andrew says, but a lot would depend on the attitude of the NCO's of the individual concerned.

Usually worn, as in the photograph, second button down, as you say to signify the loss of a close family member.

I'm not sure it is artillery. The badges are indistnct but they don't look like RA. The dress uniform appears to have white facings (collar and cuffs) which would place it as one of the infantry regiments.

I have tried zooming in on the cap badge but to no avail. A closer shot of the caps might be useful

Regards

Chris

Looking at the badge, and given the OPs comments, I'd say the cap badge is Cheshire Regiment.

Regards

Chris

Yes I agree. Both photos where the badge is visible show the outline shape in keeping with the Cheshire Regiment. The white facings on the tunics would also fit with that regiment until they were later changed back to the original buff.

post-599-0-18396100-1339342100_thumb.jpg

post-599-0-92866200-1339344878_thumb.jpg