Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A rifle used in German South West Africa

Terrylee

This is a Short Magazine Lee Enfield Mk.I* issued to the Natal Light Horse.The N.L.H., 500 strong, was raised in August, 1914 and was part of the Central Force during the invasion of German South West Africa by the Union of South Africa in 1915.

The N.L.H. was involved in the battle of Gibeon on the 27th April, 1915 where they suffered casualties. In all probability this rifle was present.

The unit was disbanded in June 1915, some of its members later serving in other regiments.

That is a really excellent example in stunning condition.

Chris

A lovely example of a SMLE Mark I...and with provenance.

Regards

TonyE

An outstanding condition rifle - are there any other South African ownership markings stamped anywhere, by the looks it may have gone out of circulation quite early on.

Cheers, S>S

Shippingsteel, I believe that you are correct. The rifle shows very little wear. All numbers are matching with original barrel. Bore virtually perfect and gauges at .3035". The only other marking relating to its issue is the usual U Broadarrow. Perhaps, the fact that the rifle was obsolescent when issued has something to do with limited use and condition.

Good to see that ownership marking as well - just adds confirmation to the provenance story of the butt disk, which on its own can sometimes be a little "circumstantial".

It's such a nice looking rifle, and especially of its type (which remains unmodified) - I think it would be very hard to top anywhere. Congratulations are certainly in order.! :thumbsup:

Cheers, S>S