Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Identification of markings on Scottish Pipers Dirk

pwdevilliers

Could anyone help me in the dating of this Robert T Mole & Sons Scottish Pipers Dirk? I would also love to know to whom (military unit) it was issued to? There are stamps and markings on it that should help. post-90406-0-24863900-1338822683_thumb.j

These look to be inspection marks. B21 possibly being a Birmingham inspectors number. Not sure about the BR but it could be a second check.

John

Could anyone help me in the dating of this Robert T Mole & Sons Scottish Pipers Dirk? I would also love to know to whom (military unit) it was issued to? There are stamps and markings on it that should help. post-90406-0-24863900-1338822683_thumb.j

If I saw these stamps on an enfield rifle they would be RSAF SPARKBROOK inspection stamps.

IIRC BR was used by Sparkbrook from the mid 1890s to 1906 to indicate repair/conversion

B is also a Sparkbrook inspection mark

The numbers underneath refer to the individual inspector

BSA used a script/italic B

Chris

Agree Chris, those are Sparkbrook (Birmingham) inspection stamps. The number refers to the individual inspector.

Regards

TonyE

Thank you for the responses Tony, IIRC and John. Here is another photo with more markings. Apparently the name Robert T Mole & Sons was only used for a few years during the 1870's. Could the 99 be a date stamp (1899)? What about the other numbers?

post-90406-0-73501000-1338882029_thumb.j

If dirks were marked in a similar way to bayonets then quite possibly that is an original issue date of 1899 which has been struck out and re-issued in 1918. However, I would expect there to be an apostrophe before the last two digits if they are dates and I cannot see any.

Chris?

Regards

TonyE

Is this enlargement of the markings of any help - all I can really get from it is the GH which should indicate Gordon Highlanders, right Chris.! :thumbsup:

It does appear that the 98 stamping has been marked through with sets of double lines, so yes that suggests that the item has been reissued.

This may also correlate with the 'extra' Birmingham Repair inspection mark on the blade, as you don't normally get a reissue without a stamp.

Looking again at the Crown over the BR inspection - it is more 'modern' in style than the original inspection mark. Reissue in 1918 looks good.

Cheers, S>S

post-52604-0-55716700-1338889165_thumb.j

Thanks for the close up S>S. It looks like the original issue was in fact March 1995 to the Gordon Highlanders with re-issues in '98 and '18.

A Mark III version of the dirk which had a plain blade was introduced in July 1913 by LoC 16582 and it was instructed that Marks I and II Dirks should be repaired and brought up to Mark III "when the design on the back of the blade will remain, only the etching on the sides of the blade being polished off".

That obviously did not happen with this one despite being apparently re-issued in 1918. However, since Sparkbrook closed in 1906 the repair pre-dates the instruction.

Regards

TonyE

It looks like the original issue was in fact March 1995 to the Gordon Highlanders with re-issues in '98 and '18.

Or is it a rack number or service number even.? Those couple of errant spots below it made me wonder about that - you would need to see the impressions.

I don't know for sure how these were marked, so I'm only guessing. Did Bagot Street close same time as Sparkbrook - sure I've seen BR stamps post 1906.?

Cheers, S>S

It could well be S>S, although don't you think that the format of "3.95" is more likely to be a date?

Repair work at Bagot Street was transferred to RSAF Enfield in about 1890 and the facility closed but remained empty and owned by the War Office. It remained semi derelict until late 1914 early 1915 when it was offered to W.W.Greener by the War Office for the manufacture of Belgian Mausers. Later it was taken over by the Belgian government who continued manufacture there.

Regards

TonyE

Thanks for that TonyE, I have often wondered when it closed down. I'm not sure of the markings, but I'll bet the clue we need is right underneath that rust patch.! :thumbsup:

Cheers, S>S

Wow TonyE and S>S and Chris!

This is now starting to get interesting. I will get the steel wool out and see if I can get more markings. I have 2 questions. Firstly: Could these dates of issue mean that this dirk was issued to the Gordon Highlanders for the war in India, then the South African Boer War and then the First World War?

Secondly: I got hold of this dirk when my father died 2 years ago. He grew up on a farm in South Africa. It was given to him by a remittance man from Scotland that lived on their farm. All I have is the name of this man, it was John Crystal. Is it possible to find out whether John Crystal was in the Gordon Highlanders? If so, how?

Tx

PWdeVilliers

Don't take my joke about coarse steel wool too seriously!

Bronze wool would be far better but it is almost impossible to find in the UK. Use only the finest steel wool you can find and use it with some light oil.

With regard to tracing your man Crystal, there are plenty of people on here that could check for you, but it is not my area.

Regards

TonyE