Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

BWM & VM with interesting Connection with Jacob Epstein

wulsten

Just added for interest, this is a pair with an interesting connection to the sculptor Jacob Epstein, named to 2nd Lieut A W J Lindsell-Stewart, he was married to Dorothy Lindsell-Stewart (named changed later by deed-poll to Green)who became involved as a model and partner to the sculptor. The following is part of an article on-line relating to there story,

There is no record of how Epstein met Meum, the slender, fair-haired woman, both seductive and demure, who became the mother of his first child. Dorothy Lindsell-Stewart (Meum was her pet name), the estranged wife of an army captain, and Epstein fell in love. The newspapers described Meum as "Epstein's favourite model" and she was soon a part of the Epstein household. In 1918, Peggy Jean was born. Both Margaret and Epstein were there, and Meum was content to allow them to bring up her child.

A W J Lindsell-Stewart was later discharged from the 7th KOYLI after he received wounds in 1916 & 1917.

post-9296-0-13442000-1338748632_thumb.jp

post-9296-0-96324400-1338748645_thumb.jp

post-9296-0-26224800-1338748658_thumb.jp

An interesting posting - apropos to nothing I can't help but feel that the famed sculptor bore a quite interesting likeness to the prolific Mr Stephen Fry...

• 4 months later...
  • 7 years later...

Dear me, I must confess to being unable to see the Emperor's clothes at all. 

Even google can't seem to find more than middling grotesqueries of the lady in question.

In a former occupation I used to sometimes encounter a wonderfully self-absorbed artiste.  There would always be a lady or two in tow, fascinated by the opportunity to be objectified, ignored and generally put upon. :lol: 

Last saw him a few years ago rummaging through a scrap metal bin, sans femmes, sans nearly everything.

Plainly the poor fellow didn't have the right connections or agent as he could have been famous, if the Epsteins of this world are any measure.

Edited by 2ndCMR