Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Odd badge on uniform

billybee

In the picture with the Canadian soldier standing, he is wearing an odd badge that to me looks like a modern-day Canadian flag on his left pocket. The post card was blank but appears to be photographed in England. Another picture of him displays him as a sergeant (without that badge 13 Dec 1916 at a Canadian Depot in St Leonard on Sea, Hastings). A modern-day Canada flag is impossible...but that what it looks like in the close up...what is it? The soldier standing, I believe is Sgt Robert Roy Nason

post-33351-0-18286600-1338735910_thumb.j

Billybee

Athletes representing Canada at international events (eg the Olympics) seem to have adopted something like this as early as 1904. Major General Sir Eugene Fiset recommended that this became Canada's emblem in around 1917. I think that the Canadian staff academy also had a red/white/red badge but with a red fist rather than a maple leaf. So although the modern Canadian flag is much more recent its not impossible for a soldier to be wearing something like this.

The askew angle suggests to me some sort of 'flag-day' pin as opposed to a more formal badge - none too sure if he should be wearing it where a medal riband would sit either.

Any suggestions for a charity that would fit the bill ?

I am happy to see the interest on this article. I got my son to make a higher resolution scan of this object on his pocket and it appears more like a cross than a fist. But maybe "Suddery" might be on to something...a RED CROSS charity event? ].a

pretty Red Cross nurse's affection? A young Canadian soldier might not know better but this man had 1 years previous service (in a Canadian militia, I suppose).

post-33351-0-86838500-1338750720_thumb.j

And we're assuming that its red and white - it might not be, not mandatory for Canadians!

Possibly a charity flag pin for the French Flag Nursing Corps whose emblem was. I think, at one time a tricolour with a red cross in the white section

My 92 year Aunt died recently and she has tons of old, mouldy pictures of her mother's with hundreds of old USA and Canadian WW1 soldiers (kin and friends, and sadly few names). I am going through them when I can; but I suppose the odd item I noticed on his kit is just a souvenir pin, probably a french flag with a cross, from a nurse, dance, meeting or that not. Thanks all. BB