Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Graves Registration

rhimsl

Just was wondering if anyone out there knows how I might be able to gain access to the German Graves Registration Office. I would like to research certain WWI Austrian and German KIA's to find out where they were killed and where they are buried. Any help would be appreciated.

Robert Himsl

rhimsl1@attbi.com

Hello Robert, The information provided on-line is not as helpful as it could be. In order to obtain more detailed information you would need to write to:Volksbund Deutsche Kriegsgräberfürsorge e.V.

Bundesgeschäftsstelle

Werner-Hilpert-Straße 2

D 34112 Kassel

Telefon: 0180 / 570 09-99 (0,12 € / min)

Spendenhotline: 0180 / 570 09-01 (0,12 € / min)

Telefax: 05 61 / 70 09-270

E-Mail: info@volksbund.de

Another good source for details concerning German soldiers would be the individual regimental histories. Many contain detailed records regarding the death of the soldiers within the regiment and might provide greater detail for your research.

A number of members hold collections in the hundreds of such books (such as myself) so it might be worthwhile to post the details from time to time and see what responses you get.

Ralph

Some of them (as I) even have copies from original cemetery registries, that contain even names of soldiers whose graves were moved to Germany during the war...

Just as Ralph said: ask and you may get quite a few answers.

Greetings from Flanders,

Jan