Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CEF Rolls of Honour

chris.wight

I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread which contains these type of books relating to the CEF, like the one under unit histories.

So here goes:

I just received a book from Ebay, "The War Book of Upper Canada College, Toronto" (edited for the Old Boys Association) by A.H. Young, published 1923. There are numerous biographies and photos plus a list of the various medals/honours awarded.

I'm willing to do look-ups for anyone who is interested.

Hi Chris.

I can add a couple of resources to this list:

- University of Toronto Roll of Service 1914-1918

- Letters From The Front (Canadian Bank of Commerce)(2 Vols)

Let me know if anything needs to be checked.

Cheers,

Terry

I am currently working on the 25th Battalion Roll of Honor since there is no book I will be glad to do look ups for any one. I am going to put all the information on C.D. when ever I get it all typed up. 1915 is finished as a rough draft, however I have a problem with the official dates of death with 7 men killed in Oct. I have just started 1916 and there are 277 names to add. When it is completed I will provide copies to anyone interested but it will be a quite a while.

Best regards

N.S.Regt.

I have the registers and/or rolls of honor for:

McGill

University of British Columbia

University of Toronto

Upper Canada College

I also have rolls of honor for numberous Canada towns.

Regards. Dick Flory

Can anyone direct me to something related to the following:

196th Western Universities Battalion

Canadian Machine Gun Corps

(1st Canadian Machine Gun Brigade)

Regards

- Dwight Mercer

Dwight, the University of Saskatchewan has an interesting on-line exhibit, "Saskatchewan in two wars", link, which has some photos/information about the 196th Battalion.

There is an interesting photo of a recruiting ledger for the 96th Battalion (Nos. 204001 to 204034) which can be enlarged.

A photo of the Memorial Program for the unveiling of the Saskatoon Football Association (June 8, 1921) gives a legible Roll of the Fallen.

This exhibition is worth having a look at.

I just got this pamphlett from Ebay to add to the list - 60 Anniversary Reunion of the 91st Elgin Battalion CEF which took place June 22, 1975. It has a Roll of Honour with 172 names and the names of the 72 surviving members; 2 MCs, 7 MMs and 1 MSM.

Further to my earlier list of references, I can add the following:

The War Memorial Volume of Trinity College, Toronto, 1922

University of Manitoba Roll of Honour, 1914-1918

The War Work of Lennox and Addington, 1922

The Trinity War Book (Trinity Methodist Church), Toronto, 1922

Ukrainian Canadians in Canada's Wars, Volume I, 1983

Five Strenuous Years, McGill Chapter of Alpha Delta Phi During the Great War, 1920

Regards. Dick Flory

You have an excellent collection Dick.

I came across Alpha Delta Phi's McGill website, link last month and had no idea they had put out a book.

The most notable name listed was Canon Scott's son from the 87th battalion.

I have "Canada's National Railways and the War", c1920. Published in Toronto by Canadian National Railways, 167 pages with a lengthy Roll of Service for the "regular employees of the Canadian National Railways".

This statement appears before the Roll of Service: "While this volume deals with the civilian achievements of the Canadian National Railways in the Great War, the conclusion would not be complete without mention of that noble throng of engineers, firemen, train-despatchers, conductors, mechanics and office employees that heard the call of duty and with high courage and brave hearts left their native land to face the gun-fire, shrapnel, and shell, and even death, if need be, in order to put down tyranny and wrong and to establish freedom for the generations to come."

This Roll of Service includes the following information for each name listed: surname, first initial(s), location of the railway branch the individual was affiliated with, medals & honours (including foreign honours) received, and whether wounded, gassed, shell shocked, died, DOW, KIA, Missing, and Missing believed killed.

There are 44 pages with around 120 names per page or approx. 5,280 names. This was compiled from "the best available records kept by the various branches of the Railways' Service". There are a number of statistical tables on earlier page. One table provides the following info:

Canadian Northern Railways & Canadian Government Railways:

7,543 enlisted

381 killed in action or missing

6152 re-employed

I also have a number of the books mentioned in earlier threads plus original 1920s pamphlets for the unveiling of war memorials for Paris (Ontario), Dundas (Ontario), Brantford (Ontario), Sherbrooke (Quebec), Eatons Employees (Winnipeg & Toronto), and St. Lambert (Quebec). These pamphlets include the names on the memorials.

I have the University of Toronto supplement for 1915 with the roll of honour including photographs of students killed by late 1915. I also have the University of Toronto book published after the war, but that has no photographs, only biographies. I have the U of T yearbooks for 1906 and 1913 and these include photos of some of the men who later served.

I have a University of Toronto Schools (UTS) 1916 pamphlet with photos & bios of the first 12 students killed in the war. Another pamphlet I have is the 1917 honour roll for Bishop's College, Lennoxville, Quebec - this includes the names of Canon F. G. Scott and his son who was killed - Henry. H. Scott.