Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

308710. PTE.BATESON, JAMES

Peter Bennett

SDGW states this soldier died on 1/7/1916, but CWGC shows 31/7/1917. Which is correct ?

BATESON, JAMES

Private

Service No:

Date of Death:

31/07/1917

Regiment/Service:

The King's (Liverpool Regiment)

18th Bn.

Panel Reference

Panel 4 and 6.

Memorial

YPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL

Peter,

I clocked this as well but my question is "The Menin Gate" which points to a 31/07/17 date of death otherwise he would have been on Thiepval.

All the best,

Paul.

Peter,

Another thought on this, the man has a 6 figure number but if he was killed in 1916 it would have been a 5 figure. This man could have joined the Pals from another (Territorial) Battalion of The King's (possibly 8th) in early 1917.

Graham Maddocks has him down as killed 31/07/17 also.

Paul.

Me again.

I checked M.I.C. for this man and it confirms his number is correct and therefore would be right for an 8th Battalion man from January 1917.

It looks like he transferred into the Pals after January 1917 (no mean feat if you died 6 months earlier) so 3rd Ypres casualty, again reinforced by Menin Gate inscription.

All the best,

Paul.

Thanks for your replies, it therefore looks as if SDGW is where the error lies

Peter,

I did a cross check with the printed version of S.D.G.W. after a post in the "Other" section of the forum. The mistake it seems has occured in the C.D. version of S.D.G.W. the printed version gives 31/07/17 as the date of death.

All the best,

Paul.

Peter,

I did a cross check with the printed version of S.D.G.W. after a post in the "Other" section of the forum. The mistake it seems has occured in the C.D. version of S.D.G.W. the printed version gives 31/07/17 as the date of death.

All the best,

Paul.

Thank you Paul

• 3 months later...

THIS SOLDIER LIVED IN HEYWOOD (NOW IN ROCHDALE MET BC). HE WAS ON OF10 SIBLINGS OF hUGH AND ? . MOTHER already died by 1911. Lived 4 Pleasant Street Heywood..Attended St MchaelsSchool and was connected to St Michaels Church, Bamford. He is on their war memorial. James was 19 when he died. Two other brothers also died John and Henry all with in 3 months of each other. They too are on the war memorial. I have been researching this war memorial for a number of years, so if youn want any further info. contact me.

Older brother Robert got an MM in galipolli but was injoured and invalided out of thec services.

Richard preston