Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Turkish M1890 Bayonet - Mystery Manufacturer

Simon127

...(Latin must be SOOOO easy.!)... And BTW the Osmanli writing does read from right to left ...

Yeah, yeah, yeah (on Latin).... And yeah, yeah, yeah (on Osmanli being right to left - but if you put the cursor on the script that you posted it DOES go 'back to front'! Hence a cunning stunt played there!).

BUT, you give me until 14:00 my (Turkish) time tomorrow (Saturday, 2nd June) and I'll see what I can do with it! AND before you ask why so long a time needed, well, if you'd like to come over and babysit tonight, do some sleep, do breakfast for all of them here (including sister in law and ma-in law arriving in the morning), then you're welcome and I'll do it a might quicker!

Trajan

PS: Simon127 - just ignore the banter between us old f***s... The answer WILL come! But note that S>S hasn't objected (yet!) to my feeling that it's a maker in Suhl - but it could be Solingen? 'Cras iterum tentavo' ("I will try again tomorrow")!

And I have in-laws in and so it's all TurkLISH here, which means that what with them and the nippers no time to have a go at this one yet... But as S>S aint going to tell us what it is then I'll have another crack at it tomorrow in between doing my final grade calculations for the students... Oh, and Rod, ta very much for the info, re: choice of university for my good student to progress to. And now to start a sawdoc and/or garron type thread on my lucky day at the antique market!

Trajan

And now to start a sawdoc and/or garron type thread on my lucky day at the antique market!

Quit your boasting ... I thought I did fairly well today myself, but time will tell ... and did you see Rod's "Wilko" on the other thread.? :thumbsup:

Cheers, S>S

...Quit your boasting ... I thought I did fairly well today myself, but time will tell ... and did you see Rod's "Wilko" on the other thread.?

Ahhh, me laddie, by Turkish standards I did exceptionally well today! Now to find what Rod has been up to before starting dinner...

Whats the difference between arabic - which is what I always thought it was - and Osmanli? Do tell . . .

As I understand it the script is arabic but the language is Turkish, on that period Turkish Mausers. Lovely rifles!

John

Simson and Co. Suhl...

If anyone is still gagging for a challenge I have a couple of Turkish shell fuses with arabic markings on the top... ^_^

Yeah but, no but - and S>S seems to be sulking on the Simson and Suhl identification... (Perhaps because even though he fiendishly wrote that transcript left to right, and not right to left, to confuse us, the code could be broken! Assuming of course that I got it right! - but if I hadn't we'd have heard by now...). BUT, back OTopic, if you go through the Turkish bayonets thread about pages 4-6 there was somebody who put up links that could help in this. Have to go now though otherwise I would look it up for you.

Trajan

If anyone is still gagging for a challenge I have a couple of Turkish shell fuses with arabic markings on the top... ^_^

I would love to see them Simon, just send them through to that email address I gave you earlier. :thumbsup:

And Trajan that wasn't an exact transcript, it was the English translation of the marking written back in Osmanli, so of course it will read from right to left.! (like I said) :lol:

Cheers, S>S

No probs! I will have to take some clear photos for you so it may be a few days before I can get them off. Do they tend to be maker's markings or are they more likely to be instructions do you know?

S

My guess is they will be the operation details of the fuse, which allows them to be set correctly before firing - numbers and letters, etc.

Cheers, S>S

Bernard Plumier has an example of a 75mm Turkish fuse on his PassionCompassion14-18 website

http://www.passionco...v.html#Turkish1

The markings around the bottom of the fuse are numbers as you would expect (seems to be 2 - 64) but this fuse also has a

Arabic marking on the top of the fuse. A couple of the characters are numbers on the top marking.

Regards,

Charlie

Thanks for that link Charlie, thats definitely a 75mm fuse with the number graduations around the bottom being 2 through 64, just as you said.

I need some assistance with context to help decipher the other markings, some of the letters are not that clear and the abrasions do not help.

What descriptions did the Germans normally add to their fuses.? Would it descibe the type of gun or perhaps the action of the specific fuse.??

Cheers, S>S

It's a bit complicated for German fuses - mostly they seem to have had the type stamped on the fuse body.

Bernard has a page of German fuses:

http://www.passioncompassion1418.com/decouvertes/english_fusees_collection_all.html

The 75mm Krupp field gun was only used to a very limited extent by the German Army - the standard field gun was 7.7cm.

The closest equivalent to the 75mm fuse in the previous post seems to be the Dopp.Z.92 fuse.

Regards,

Charlie

Thanks, I found those German fuses Charlie, but yes they were not of much help at all - a very complicated series of abbreviations, etc.

After looking through a few of the different possibilities, I am now thinking it is just another variation of the standard Turk makers marking.

I can't make out all letters of the lower writing, but it does appear to have strong similarities with the usual script representing the arsenal.

Cheers, S>S