Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Stars above an NCO's Right Cuff

tn.drummond

I'm sure there is a thread on this but I can't locate it (too many hits for star).

Could any of the wise please refresh my memory as to what the stars (I've seen from one to four) on an NCO's lower right arm signify.

Regards

Suddery

They are prewar territorial efficiency distinctions. I don't know whether they carried on into the war years but if they did I rather think they fizzled out pretty soon.

That's very helpful, thank you.

If anyone knows exactly when they were phased out ( that is that the wearing of them was no longer permissible) and if they were an NCO only award I'd be grateful.

Best regards

Suddery

TF Regs 1908 [the first such]

Para 557 ........... men returned as efficient ..... four times [ie over four years] ...... right forearm ..... a star. [star was 5 points, worn SD and scarlet tunic/frock.]

Available NCOs and men.

"Efficient" defined as attending a sufficient number of drills, parades and an annual camp.

Clearly redundant when war declared, although I have never seen an authority.

Not to say the old and bold would not continue to wear them at Home! I have seen photos showing eight such stars on a veteran.

SNCO also eligible to earn a Proficiency star, 4 points, above all other rank badges on upper right arm.

Finally, an 8-point star was appointment badge of RQMS above 4 chevrons point up, lower sleeve, until 1915, when RQMS became a WO class II.

Many thanks for such a comprehensive answer.

Best regards

Suddery

Edit: anyone stumbling on this thread can find plenty of threads on this same subject by typing "efficiency stars" into the forum engine - including Grumpy's 8 star NCO mentioned above.