The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

ASC MM Group nameing

Guest exuser1

Guest exuser1

A aquaintence of mine had promised me a medal group which included a Military Medal , it was from a relative who had no intrest and would i be intrested , last week he brought me over the medals and yes Military Medal with 1914 Star and bar trio ,with WW2 War medal and defence and the corresponding minatures , then as usual named not to a dashing cavalry unit but the good old ASC , 1914 star to M-32252 L.Cpl A.W.Wellbelove A.S.C , but with bar so not all bad , then the nameing on Military Medal M-32252 Cpl .A.C.S .MJR - A . W. WELLBELOVE .1/AUX:BUS:Coy M . T . ASC , so even though only ASC quite intresting , the MM was awarded late April 1918 for the March offensive and intrestingly is documented in a recent book on the ASC in the Great War , and i have allways been intrested in owening a group to one of the Omnibus Companys , what i find intresting is the nameing on the MM ,ie Cpl but acting Company Sgt Major , my question is how many ranks can a solider act up ? as Cpl to CSM seems a bit of a jump ? on the War and Victory the rank is T . W .O .CL .

The short answer is that it is all with repsect to the rank held at the time of eligibility for the award. MSMs were pretty much a Sgt and senior NCO award, rare but not unheard of to lower ranks. Very nice group, was it a gift? It does have some value despite being to the ASC (corps are typicaly less attractive to many collectors who are often line regt snobs.

Guest exuser1

Thanks am just suprised at a Cpl acting up to CSM ? yes its a impresive looking group and with the minatures quite impressive , i have always been intrested in aquireing a group to one of the Omnibus Companys as the photographs of the buses taking the lads to the front are so iconic of the Great War , it would have been super if they were a gift ,but no i showed him some dealers prices and we agreed on a reasonable price , but yes i agree with your comment on the line regiment attitude , all said and done a MM is for bravery and if your a bloke going over the top with a rifle or a stretcher , or a load of supplies or driving a bus through a bombardment still a hard earned medal ?

Agreed - but remember competent men rose quickly and the armies were large with manifold personnel needs, so not a real stretch under the circumstances to make CSM. bravery is bravery IMO, I hold the attitude as you there - If the king thout it worthy why should we quibble over what cap badge you had on to earn it? If you picked it up for under 650 pounds I'd say you did well. Post some pictures when you can.

Guest exuser1

Thanks Scott will post some photographs ,when i can workout how ! the deal was done at just over £500 so all partys happy ,now hes on the lookout for the brothers medals who was KIA in 1918 ,they may still be with the distant relative , as you say with such large numbers of men and in a techinical branch a jump from Cpl to CSM in one go may not be that unusual ,wonder how all the seargents felt ? have checked the Gazette and it just states CSM , so thats in 1918 April and by the time he gets the War and Victory hes T WO Class 2 so from Cpl to T WO in a year ,wonder if ever cofirmed and how did his pension ect go ? the MIC is next on the list when back in UK .

It may depend on what he did before enlistment - if he was skilled in a trade and a bit older some of these men advanced quickly on merit. Well done, good luck on the other groups.