Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Photo of Highland Battalion in Inverness, August 1914

gordon92

Recently discovered this photograph depicting a Highland battalion of uncertain regimental origin parading through Inverness in August 1914. The label on the photo said it was the 4th Camerons leaving for France. With barely visible diced glengarries, this is definitely not a Cameron Highlanders battalion. Indeed the 4th Camerons mobilized wearing sporrans upon moving to Bedford while these men are wearing kilt aprons. I have been able to verify that the venue is indeed Inverness at the corner of High St and Inglis St. The street photography on Google Maps shows the building in the upper right of the picture (with the corner entrance and distinctive facade above) still in existence today.

With diced glengarries and apparently dark hose I am unclear as to who this is. A guess might be the 5th (Sutherland & Caithness) Seaforth.

Can anyone provide an opinion of who this battalion might be in this blurry photo?

post-50252-0-16416700-1338215436_thumb.j

They appear to have double hose flashes which are quite long (and flapping!) that would seem to match with THIS PICTURE (there are several).

IIRC the 5th Seaforths badge is round ("sans peur") rather than the standard Seaforth's badge so that would fit.

Other photos of the 5th show them armed with (Long) Magazine Lee Enfields as here...

so that would seem to be a good fit.

Chris

They appear to have double hose flashes which are quite long (and flapping!) that would seem to match with THIS PICTURE(there are several).

IIRC the 5th Seaforths badge is round ("sans peur") rather than the standard Seaforth's badge so that would fit.

Other photos of the 5th show them armed with (Long) Magazine Lee Enfields as here...

so that would seem to be a good fit.

Chris

Thank you for the input and link to the photo of Pte. George Mackay of the 5th Seaforth, Chris. Indeed, this reinforces the hypothesis that the it is the 5th Seaforth that is seen parading through Inverness in the original photograph. The caption on the Mackay photo indicates that it was taken at Ft. George in 1915. Since he is wearing a sporran (very distinctive), I rather think this was taken at summer camp in early August 1914 just before mobilization. Hence, the parade in Inverness is likely just prior to leaving for Bedford to join the 152nd (Seaforth & Cameron) Brigade, 51st Highland Division.

In further studying the original photograph, there is a man in the lower center wearing a solid color glengarry with, apparently, feathers protruding from the "sans peur" badge. In researching the 5th Seaforth further, they retained the uniform of the old Sutherland Rifle Volunteers that included solid gelngarries for officers. This can be seen in the photo below from Tain in 1911 (probably summer camp) that I found in my archives; unexplainedly, there are two Argyll officers also posing.

Thanks again for the help; your picture helped me crystallize the above hypothesis.

Mike

post-50252-0-45610300-1338297343_thumb.j

I think you are probably correct - although the photos from Bedford would indicate that fairly large numbers of sporrans made the trip south in Sept 1914 too.

If you look through some of the other pictures on the site I linked there are several of officers also all wearing plain glens confirming your findings

You will notice on the Mackay picture (not mine BTW I just linked to it) the dicing on the glen is of the style usually associated with the Argylls (3 rows of red/white dicing) - however in the case of the photo you posted, the hose of the officer in the kilt certainly appears to indicate he is an Argyll.

I have a similar photo of the officers of the 1/4th Gordons at Tain in 1909.

Chris

I think you are probably correct - although the photos from Bedford would indicate that fairly large numbers of sporrans made the trip south in Sept 1914 too.

If you look through some of the other pictures on the site I linked there are several of officers also all wearing plain glens confirming your findings

You will notice on the Mackay picture (not mine BTW I just linked to it) the dicing on the glen is of the style usually associated with the Argylls (3 rows of red/white dicing) - however in the case of the photo you posted, the hose of the officer in the kilt certainly appears to indicate he is an Argyll.

I have a similar photo of the officers of the 1/4th Gordons at Tain in 1909.

Chris

If it is not too much bother, please post the photo of the 1/4 Gordons at Tain 1909.

Mike

post-14525-0-12949500-1338383303_thumb.j

here you go.

Chris