Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Where the Medals Issued at Different Times?

Anneca

I would be interested to know if medals were issued at different times. Was the 1914/15 Star for example issued later than the British War and Victory Medals?

Was the 1914/15 Star for example issued later than the British War and Victory Medals?

The answer is generally yes - it is fairly common to find either the 1914 or 1914/15 Star issued seperately to the standard BWM and VM. Occasionally the BWM and VM can be found to have been issued seperately (although much more commonly seen issued together).

The 1914 Star was the first WW1 medal to be issued, after being instituted in 1917. This was followed by the 1914 - 15 Star, which was instituted in 1918.

The British War Medal and Victory Medals were instituted at different times during 1919, which is why uniforms can be seen with ribbons for the star and BWM but not the Victory.

Bearing in mind that there were some 6 Million Empire personnel entitled to WW1 medals, the actual issue of these medals went on for years.

Officially, the Stars had to be issued with the British War Medal and Victory Medal, but the British War Medal could be awarded by itself. The Victory could only be issued with the British War Medal. Of course there were unofficial errors and ommissions......

Sepoy

The most common pattern appears to be that the Stars were sent in 1919 and the others as a pair in 1921, although all variations decribed above are also found.

Whist OR received their medals automatically, if I recall correctly officers were required to apply for their medals.

Would an officer have applied once for his entire medal allotment which would be sent out in due course or would he have been required to apply first for the 1914 or 1914-15 Star and then the WM/VM pair if he was entitled to receive the three?

Remember that ribbons were issued almost as soon as the Army Order was promulgated, thus many soldiers in 1918 wearing 1914 star ribbon.

Whist OR received their medals automatically, if I recall correctly officers were required to apply for their medals.

Would an officer have applied once for his entire medal allotment which would be sent out in due course or would he have been required to apply first for the 1914 or 1914-15 Star and then the WM/VM pair if he was entitled to receive the three?

Looking at the comments on my G Uncle's MIC He appears to have applied for the 1914 - 15 Star, the BWM and the VM at the same time in 1922. There is a note to indicate that the Territorial was issued rather than the 14-15. Sadly given the date of the notes he may have died from an appendectomy that went wrong before they actually arrived.

Many thousands of medals continued to be issued well into the 1930's. The following is for 1st Jan - 31st December 1932, for all ranks:

1914 Star - 85

1914-15 Star - 490

British War Medal - 2,200

Victory Medal - 2,100

Territorial Force War Medal - 70

Clasps for 1914 Star - 1,000

Roses for above - 2,300

TR

Thank you Andrew, Sepoy, Chris, 80th Division, Grumpy and Centurion for your responses, all of which answer my question. Most interesting is the information which Terry has provided on the medals for all ranks.

Thank you also for for taking the time to reply.

Regards

Anne

The most common pattern appears to be that the Stars were sent in 1919 and the others as a pair in 1921, although all variations decribed above are also found.

I think that you will find that only the 1914 Star was issued in 1919, followed by the 1914/15 Star in 1920/21.

Looking at the comments on my G Uncle's MIC He appears to have applied for the 1914 - 15 Star, the BWM and the VM at the same time in 1922. There is a note to indicate that the Territorial was issued rather than the 14-15. Sadly given the date of the notes he may have died from an appendectomy that went wrong before they actually arrived.

Thank you for the reply Centurion.

It must have required a massive undertaking to post millions of medals and see most of them arrive in the hands of recipients or their wives or next of kin in good order.

From the service records of Australians I have seen, they were issued in the same manner. The 1914-15 Star as an individual and the BWM and Vic together.

Cheers Andy.

One must bear in mind that the Admiralty did NOT issue medals automatically, as the War Office did for their Other Ranks only. The 1914 Stars for Naval recipients were all marked up & ready for issue in January 1919, but one had to claim, so whilst the majority were issued in 1919-20, many stars sat on a shelf for 15 years, after which time 426 unclaimed 1914 Stars were returned to the Royal Mint for destruction. Sod's Law dictates that no sooner had this occurred, than several claims were received & duplicate 1914 Stars had to be issued.

Naval 1914-15 Stars were first available in 1920 & the BWM & Victory in 1921. Separate issues are recorded for serving Ratings, some of whom would first receive their 1914-15 Star, then later the BWM & Vic. If one waited until 1922 to claim, the issue should have been of all three medals together.