Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Car Boot Part 4 10 Cap Badges. Lost of them.

ATNOMIS

All good; especially good finds are the early pattern (Victorian) Royal Fusiliers badge (the one on the right) and the maker marked Devons.

All good; especially good finds are the early pattern (Victorian) Royal Fusiliers badge (the one on the right) and the maker marked Devons.

Thank you. Never been so lucky. Bargin at £20.

Simon

Thank you. Never been so lucky. Bargin at £20.

Simon

I am staggered, they are fantastic at that price. I especially like the Royal Fusiliers Victorian pattern and the first pattern Welsh Guards with solid back, later versions had a stamped indentation at rear and so were thinner and much more flimsy.

• 2 weeks later...

The Royal Fusilers badges are both post 1906. It was in that year that the WD introduced short sliders. While Volunteer Bns and yeomanry often had sliders before this date, regualr Army badges did not as they were oredered using sealed patterns.

The second one is not Victorian (if it was pre 1901 then it would have been lugged) but a slidered collar badge. I suggest that is was slidered for us on a side cap. A rare badge as it is commonly found with lugs for wear on collars. Why someone went to the trouble and expense of ordering slidered badges when lugged ones were availalble is not clear!

I always understood that the RF collar badge with slider was worn in the Broderick cap.

A lovely collection. Thanks for showing them. It's great to see original untouched examples.

John