Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Identify Uniforms, Bengal Photographer

TanyaC

Hi Tanya,

Probably not of much help, but the photo is most probably either late 19th(1890's) or early 20th Century. Both men appear to be wearing one 'good conduct' stripe on their left sleeves--but as this is not terribly clear I cannot be certain of this!!

They are both Privates, but I can't really see any way of identiying which regiment. Hopefully someone will be along with a more useful answer--before too long!!

Robert

Hi,

Could someone help me identify the uniforms and any history or tips for further research.

Many thanks,

Tanya

post-90375-0-40031600-1338031396_thumb.jpost-90375-0-47014200-1338031416_thumb.j

Tanya, try the Victorian Wars Forum as these men are clearly in Victorian pattern uniforms: http://www.victorianwars.com/

Thank you. Very useful and registering now.

See you there! Subathu, together with Kasauli and Dagshai, were hill depots created by the British Army in the mid-19th c for the families and some of the troops to escape to in the hot weather which was so unhealthy in the plains. They are on the ridges of wooded hills about 20 kms into the Himalayas on the road between Chandigarh and Simla. Kasauli is the major town in the area. It later became the Regimental Centre (or Depot) for the 4th Gurkha Rifles.

The low-hills village of Subathu was among the first positions to be retained by the British during the course of the Gurkha Wars. This grew to become a fairly large military establishment. It was here that the ‘Nasiri Battalions’, or ‘battalions of friendlies’ from among the Gurkhas were first raised. This is still a recruiting and training centre for Gurkhas in the Indian Army.

See you there! Subathu, together with Kasauli and Dagshai, were hill depots created by the British Army in the mid-19th c for the families and some of the troops to escape to in the hot weather which was so unhealthy in the plains. They are on the ridges of wooded hills about 20 kms into the Himalayas on the road between Chandigarh and Simla. Kasauli is the major town in the area. It later became the Regimental Centre (or Depot) for the 4th Gurkha Rifles.

The low-hills village of Subathu was among the first positions to be retained by the British during the course of the Gurkha Wars. This grew to become a fairly large military establishment. It was here that the ‘Nasiri Battalions’, or ‘battalions of friendlies’ from among the Gurkhas were first raised. This is still a recruiting and training centre for Gurkhas in the Indian Army.

Thank you, this is fascinating. I had to wait a while for my registration to come through, but as you recommended I have now posted my picture on Victorian War Forums. Hopefully I can continue this conversation with you on there as I have many questions which I hope you will be able to help me with.

Tanya

Thank you, this is fascinating. I had to wait a while for my registration to come through, but as you recommended I have now posted my picture on Victorian War Forums. Hopefully I can continue this conversation with you on there as I have many questions which I hope you will be able to help me with.

Tanya

I have replied to you in detail there.

I have replied to you in detail there.

Hi,

I think I may have found my ancestor who may be in this photo but its hard work reading his file without any miltary knowledge.

I have attached some of the service file which I located on Ancestry.

If this is the same man, you were right, he was in Woolwich.

Can you establish from this if Edwin Woodward was in India? I can see the word India, but not sure on anything else. Or should I post to a different section now?

Thanks,

Tanyapost-90375-0-79035300-1338827388_thumb.j

Hi,

I think I may have found my ancestor who may be in this photo but its hard work reading his file without any miltary knowledge.

I have attached some of the service file which I located on Ancestry.

If this is the same man, you were right, he was in Woolwich.

Can you establish from this if Edwin Woodward was in India? I can see the word India, but not sure on anything else. Or should I post to a different section now?

Thanks,

Tanyapost-90375-0-79035300-1338827388_thumb.j

I am afraid that the record is too small for me to read clearly Tanya and I am not a member of Ancestry.

What I can say is that Woolwich is closely associated with the Royal Artillery so your two soldiers could well be gunners as per those that you posted in the VWF. They were perhaps recalled from the reserve when war broke out. Two of the later entries appear to indicate "failures" of some kind, perhaps medical examinations and these entries were made at Athlone in Ireland. The last entry indicates that he was "passed fit" (possibly for re-entry to the Army) on 23 June 1914. I am unable to make out anything about India because of the size of the image.

The places down the left hand side are entries for when a man arrived at a garrison or was admitted sick. These are places in Ireland (this Edwin Woodward joined the Artillery at Clonmel.) All of Ireland was classed as the UK during the Great War period.

These read:

• Lethard (??) 27-9-1902 (original posting)
  • Woolwich 25-10-1902
  • Dundalk 29-5-1902
  • Newtonards (??) 4-7-1910
  • Athlone 6-3-1914
  • Athlone 12-3-1914
  • Athone 23-6-1914

He was examined for service in India in 1907 and was found generally fit apart from tooth decay (dental caries).

He came from Church Gresley in Derbyshire and was discharged to Burton on Trent in 1915 having served in France.

Steve.

post-90375-0-45665700-1338836165_thumb.j

I am afraid that the record is too small for me to read clearly Tanya and I am not a member of Ancestry.

What I can say is that Woolwich is closely associated with the Royal Artillery so your two soldiers could well be gunners as per those that you posted in the VWF. They were perhaps recalled from the reserve when war broke out. Two of the later entries appear to indicate "failures" of some kind, perhaps medical examinations and these entries were made at Athlone in Ireland. The last entry indicates that he was "passed fit" (possibly for re-entry to the Army) on 23 June 1914. I am unable to make out anything about India because of the size of the image.

Thanks, I have cut out the line that I think says India.

The places down the left hand side are entries for when a man arrived at a garrison or was admitted sick. These are places in Ireland (this Edwin Woodward joined the Artillery at Clonmel.) All of Ireland was classed as the UK during the Great War period.

These read:

• Lethard (??) 27-9-1902 (original posting)
  • Woolwich 25-10-1902
  • Dundalk 29-5-1902
  • Newtonards (??) 4-7-1910
  • Athlone 6-3-1914
  • Athlone 12-3-1914
  • Athone 23-6-1914

He was examined for service in India in 1907 and was found generally fit apart from tooth decay (dental caries).

He came from Church Gresley in Derbyshire and was discharged to Burton on Trent in 1915 having served in France.

Steve.

Thanks Steve, this is very helpful.

I have photo's of Ireland which are now matched up and attached.

post-90375-0-77769600-1338836377_thumb.jpost-90375-0-32269000-1338836480_thumb.j

I am trying to pin down the International postings if there were any.

post-90375-0-84071000-1338836535_thumb.j

Extracted section that I thought had India in the line.

Tanya

The record says "Home" (i.e. UK) through from 1902 (enlistment) to 1914 (discharge) - "Home" included Ireland. There is no indication of service in India apart from the line above, which I believe was him being tested for his fitness for overseas duty and it seems that he failed due to dental issues.

"7.3.07 Exd. Service India" = (Medically) Examined for Service in India on 7-3-1907. The next word is fit but then it says dental caries (i.e. decayed teeth) - this was one of the main points of failure of many soldiers examined for overseas service.

Steve.

The record says "Home" (i.e. UK) through from 1902 (enlistment) to 1914 (discharge) - "Home" included Ireland. There is no indication of service in India apart from the line above, which I believe was him being tested for his fitness for overseas duty and it seems that he failed due to dental issues.

"7.3.07 Exd. Service India" = (Medically) Examined for Service in India on 7-3-1907. The next word is fit but then it says dental caries (i.e. decayed teeth) - this was one of the main points of failure of many soldiers examined for overseas service.

Steve.

Thanks Steve. Back to the drawing board, but at least I know.

Tanya

Thanks, I have cut out the line that I think says India.

I agree totally with Stebie Tanya and there isn't really anything that I can add.

I agree totally with Stebie Tanya and there isn't really anything that I can add.

Thanks, you have been more than helpful on a number of different requests. No doubt I shall be back to you again.

Tanya