Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

KD Officer Tunic ID Help?

aaronmc90

Thank you to Joe Sweeney for his reply in the other thread

That tunic I (thankfully) didn't buy but this one I did and could use some help on it's ID

most of the pics come from the sale photos, except the pic of the broad arrow stamp which i took myself :)

The arrow stamp picture is a bit blurry, but it has a "5" above the arrow, and beneath it what looks like a 16 or 18, and despite being blurry doesn't give much more or less detail than in person :/

Thanks so much!

post-90349-0-78083900-1337998712_thumb.j

post-90349-0-32343100-1337998832_thumb.j

post-90349-0-29461900-1337998841_thumb.j

post-90349-0-33858200-1337998845_thumb.j

post-90349-0-44932700-1337998850_thumb.j

post-90349-0-49954200-1337998854_thumb.j

Well the rank insignia is that of a Warrant Officer 2nd class. The button is Lancashire Fusiliers.

Unfortunately, I cannot add any information relating to the tunic itself.

Sepoy

Sorry to say so, but I don't like this at all. I doubt the uniform is any earlier than the 1930s, and would think probably WW2 period. The colour and cut are wrong for WW1 or even the 20s. The marking has a very spurious look, and seems intended to suggest a date of May 1916; however it is unlike any genuine one I've seen but is similar to a number of known fakes. The medals could belong, or might just be a red herring. I feel sure that this has been put together to deceive, which unfortunately is happening more and more.

Don't take my word for it, get some more opinions before doing anything drastic. I might be wrong!

There are quite a number of KD jackets around that are being badged for the Great War period. I bought one badged to the MGC in order to get the set of buttons and collar badges, and I have another in a similar vein. Both I regard as 'repro' and given the cost of standard SD I think there is a move to badge up KD in this way - with relatively few people collecting this style.

Peter

I should have thought of this earlier, just posting the link to the Ebay listing instead of individually attaching each photo.... lol

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130650707082

They seemed to have pretty good feedback, when looking at it today, it seemed to be WWI-ish, I'm going to keep looking into this..

But on a side note, is there any store online that has WWI mid-east khaki drill stuff?

That clears up any possible doubt. I hadn't realised that there were no shoulder straps. Note also the attached belt at the back. No WW1 army unit ever wore clothing with those features. I am 100% certain of that, and 95% certain that this is WW2 RAF.

Comments that might be considered defamatory are against GWF rules, and I will limit mine to saying that this is a very basic mistake from someone who has sold considerable quantities of militaria on ebay since 2004.

Whether or not it was intentional, this uniform is not as described. If I'd bought it, I would ask for a refund. Anyone who has made a genuine mistake in good faith would return your money. If they refused, personally I'd open a Paypal dispute.

Edited to add: BTW there is nowhere I know that has any WW1 khaki drill, which is a lot scarcer than serge service dress. It's less collected and thus ought to cost less, but even so £42.50 was much too cheap. If it seems too good to be true, it usually is, and especially when it's somewhere as public as ebay!

Comments that might be considered defamatory are against GWF rules, and I will limit mine to saying that this is a very basic mistake from someone who has sold considerable quantities of militaria on ebay since 2004.

Echoing this, I bought some items from this seller quite a number of years ago. Apon receiving them I returned them for a refund, and would not personally deal with them again. 'Nuff said.