Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1914-18 Trio

Fred W

My uncle John Davies enlisted in the Scots Guards in Sept 1914. His original Service No was 9865. This was changed at some time to 662405. About Oct 1918 he was transferred to the Labour Corps. His MIC shows him as Labour Corps, but handwritten across the top is XX S. Gds 9865 Pte.

My question is what would have been inscribed on his medals? I have always thought that it was the first regiment/corps they joined, but would that be so in this case in view of what is on the MIC? Can anyone out there help?

Fred

Fred: Look on the MIC for an "X" next to a Regiment/Corps...that should be the Regiment that would be noted on the medals

Ian,

He received a gun shot wound which fractured his right leg at Loos on 28 Sept 1915. The local paper reported that he was wounded twice but his service records do not support that. I believe he was gassed later in the war and he spent some time in hospital with "bronchitis". He was awarded a pension of 8 shillings and 3 pence (42p) per week from the 28 Feb 1919, to be reviewed after 26 weeks.

Fred