Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unit patch - battle formation badge.

emmo7474

Hi,

Can anyone help me to identify the battle patch on the left upper arm of this Pte in the Sherwood Foresters. Please see cropped photo postcard attached.

Regards

Simon

post-90283-0-70487000-1337706651_thumb.j

Hi Simon,

Apologies for this but try as I might I can't see any battle patch on left upper.

Suddery

Hi,

3rd Training Reserve Brigade 13th or 14th Notts and Derbys became 12th and 13th Training Reserve Battalions.

regards

John

Many thanks John

Hi,

3rd Training Reserve Brigade 13th or 14th Notts and Derbys became 12th and 13th Training Reserve Battalions.

regards

John

John

Are you discerning this from the shoulder title ?

Suddery

No! look closely at the top of the left sleeve he is wearing a 3, units of the Training Reserve wore the brigade number in various colours.

There is a thread by Graham Stewart which shows the Army Order and which colours were to be worn.

Thus 84, 85, 86 Training Res Bns originally 30thTI 29thTS and 31st Newcastle Commercials Battalions of the NF wore a 20 as did 21st DLI.

regards

John

My word, someone has eagle eyes. Only managed to make out the lightest of outlines after moving my screen and looking at it from a peripheral angle. Time for a new prescription perhaps.

Many thanks for the additional information.

regards

Suddery.