Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Identification of Regimement from uniform required please

PabloC

Hi,

I would be grateful if anyone could help identify the regiment of this soldier from his uniform please.

The photo comed from Lincolnshire, with the photo having been taken at

'E.Freeman' of 458 Cleethorpe Road, Grimsby'

Regards

Paul

post-22213-0-52728600-1337690017_thumb.j

Hi,

For further information, I am attaching an enlarged scan of the main body of his uniform in the hope that identification may be achieved from the buttons etc.

Regards

Paul

ps. Meant to add, the soldier I am hoping this might be served with the Sherwood Foresters.

post-22213-0-72579800-1337690867_thumb.j

The only shred of possible regimental identification in this photo is the shoulder title and your hypothesis that this is a Sherwood Forester. Between 1902 and 1920 (ref: "Collecting Metal Shoulder Titles" by Ray Westlake) the title worn was NOTTS AND DERBY in three lines. After 1920 the title worn was FORESTERS in a curved pattern as depicted in the photo. So, the regiment could be The Sherwood Foresters in the 1920s.

... The photo comed from Lincolnshire, with the photo having been taken at 'E.Freeman' of 458 Cleethorpe Road, Grimsby'...

Paul, would you post a scan of the back please to confirm that 'E.Freeman' is the photographer? I just did a quick 'Google' on the address which turned up the following absent voters list entry for Grimsby and Cleethorpes for 1919 (I think) at http://www.angelfire.com/de/delighted/W.html:

WITHERS, Stanley

458 Cleethorpe Road

T/391821 Dr., 3rd Coy., A.S.C.

Might Stanley Withers of 458 Cleethorpe Road be the subject? E.Freeman somebody else altogether? Of course I'll probably soon be shot down because of the shoulder badge, but an odd coincidence?

Trajan

Paul, would you post a scan of the back please to confirm that 'E.Freeman' is the photographer? I just did a quick 'Google' on the address which turned up the following absent voters list entry for Grimsby and Cleethorpes for 1919 (I think) at http://www.angelfire...elighted/W.html:

WITHERS, Stanley

458 Cleethorpe Road

T/391821 Dr., 3rd Coy., A.S.C.

Might Stanley Withers of 458 Cleethorpe Road be the subject? E.Freeman somebody else altogether? Of course I'll probably soon be shot down because of the shoulder badge, but an odd coincidence?

Trajan

Trajan,

That is a good research finding. However, if the subject had been in the Army Service Corps the shoulder title would have read ASC in a straight line, and that seems quite different from what is in the photograph. With the Lincolnshire location, the Lincolnshire Regiment is a possibility; that shoulder title would be curved LINCOLN. That too looks inconsistent with the photo. I think The Sherwood Foresters, the OP's hypothesis, is more likely.

If the photo is from the 1920s it seems odd that he is not wearing any WW1 medal ribbons, unless he was a man who joined post war and he looks a little mature for that (although it's not impossible).

I've got a photo of my great-grandad taken by Freeman, probably before the war. The address isn't very clear but I think it's 458. If the ASC man's address is correct he may have lived in a flat above the studio.

Hi,

Thanks for the assistance chaps.

Firstly, I will upload a portion detailing the address, which clearly states '458 Cleethorpe Road, Grimsby'

This photo comes from an album of my fiance's grandmother, which also contains a newspaper clipping detailing the 1948 funeral of her father. The article states how he was in the Sherwood Foresters during WW1, gassed in 1916, and captured in 1918...only to escape on the 2nd November 1918 with a pal, who attended the funeral.

The above photo is on the next page, which is why I'm looking to hopefully make a connection.

Having looked at some Sherwood Foresters buttons online, I think there is a good possibility that the buttons on the soldier's uniform way well match.

Regards

Paul

Staring at the ST on the large pic has convinced me that it says LINCOLN ; or at least starts with LIN.

And I can see two pleats.

Hi,

For info...on closer inspection, the address on the bottom of the photo is 456 Cleethorpe Road, not 458 as originally thought. I will post a close up later on.

Paul

post-22213-0-37729800-1337765515_thumb.j

Yes the short and curved dimension of the title does lend itself to the Lincolnshire Regiment.

post-599-0-43217200-1337765475_thumb.jpg