Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Seeking advice to 'marry' appropriate ribbons to medals

pgis

Hi all, My family has finally found the WW1 medals of our Grandfather Edward Largey RN which, as far I was concerned, were lost when he died in 1957 in Liverpool. The medals are in, what appears to my untrained eye, very good condition but are minus their ribbons.

I am seeking advice on what is the best way to get a (genuine) professional/expert to carry out this work and perhaps also encase the medals.In addition to the 1914/15 star, British medal and Victory medal, there is a DSM for valour for service on board The Vindictive at Ostend. I am therefore nervous about who I leave these medals with.

Can anyone recommend a reputable person/business to carry out this work? As all the family is based in the Greater Belfast area, replies from Forum members based in N. Ireland would be particularly appreciated.

Thank you.

Worcestershire Medals, without hesitation. Dealt with all my 6 family groups, including cases, cap badges, photos etc.

First class service.

PM me if you need any detailed advice.

Contact Kirky (Honours and Awards) on this Forum - excellent service and top class job every time.

Where ever you send the medals don't forget to send them by RM Special Delivery.

Another vote for Worcestershire Medal Services (no disrespect intended to Kirky) as I have used them. A point to consider however is that you will not get the rather nice original silk ribbons as issued - it's too expensive to make now, apparently, but modern synthetic versions.

Thanks for comments, I have original ribbons if needed.

Tony

Thanks to all who have replied to my request for advice. I appreciate you taking the time to respond. I am now faced with a difficult decision, whether to part with the medals in order to have them professionally 'upgraded' or to retain possession of them in their current state.It's just that they were lost for so long, and the thought of them going missing in transit petrifies me.

I realise this is a decision for me to make. Thanks again to everyone who replied.

Paul.

Paul, I am sure that reputable firms would look after your grandads gongs, but have you considered doing the work yourself ? A 6 inch strip of each ribbon would cost about £3, and the mounting brooch about the same. Add a couple of quid for postage, and you'll be able to do the lot for under £20, without ever having to part company with the medals.

BUT:

"and perhaps also encase the medals".

Even there, suitable deep cases can be bought at art/hobbycraft shops these days.

I've used Kirky for this kind of work, and was very happy with the results.

That said: Worcestershire does have the Royal Warrant!

Cheers,

GT.

Worcestershire certainly doesn't have my warrant after the work they did for me - Honours and Awards every time.

We have collectively offered very good/excellent/honourable/warranted advice ...... now it is down to "do you trust the Post" ...............

I thought not! Neither do I!