Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Skipman

A friend of mine has recently bought a Territorial Force War Medal. I didn't have my glasses, and he doesn't see well, but it looked line Pte 1487 R (or B ) Finnegan, Devonshire Regt. Quite a rare medal i suppose, but I can't find an MIC, or much else on him, can anyone?

Cheers Mike

• Admin

There's a MIC for a Lawrence B Finnegan No 1467 Devonshire Rgt.

Entitled to the BWM, VM (as a Cpl) and TFWM (as a Pte).

Possibility?

Russ

Well done Russ. That's got to be him. I will see if I can get another look at the medal (with my glasses on)

Many thanks

Mike

Seem to recall other threads on the TFWM - and something on the Devonshire Regiment. From Howard Williamson's work on Great War Medals, I think I recall (as it is not to hand right now) that the Devons were among the highest number of TFWM's awarded. So not 'rare' on a comparative scale, but still a nice medal to have.

Thanks Phil. Not being a collector, it's the first I have ever seen, and as you say, a nice medal to own. He is also in possession of his aunt's MM, plus many more.

Cheers Mike

When I have access to Williamson, I'll let you know the numbers. I have always had an affinity for this medal ever since I got one to the Royal Warwicks. You may be surprised to learn that there is one to - the Royal Naval Air Service! Not only that, it was not awarded until 1972.

1,520 TFWM's awarded to other ranks in the Devon's. Plus another 74 to officers. The only other line regiment with more than a thousand awarded is the Hampshire's with 1,429 OR's and 78 officers. Howard Williamson's revised total is 34,321 medals awarded in all. 2,866 to officers and 31,455 to other ranks.

Cheers,

Simon

The Territiorial Force War Medal - Great Britain.

Was approved by King George V in 1919, for issue to all members of the Territorial Force who were serving on August 4, 1914, and to all ex-members who had served for a period of not less than 4 years in the Territorial Force before the war, provided that they undertook to serve overseas before September 30th, 1914, and were passed as medically fit and actually served abroad, and were not entitled to the 1914 Star, or the 1914-1915 Star. Many of the Force served in India, and have received the medal.

post-63666-0-17234700-1337630205_thumb.j

Still the rarest of all the ww1 campaign medals awarded by a long shot. in fact only around 33,000; this compared to the 115,000 Military Medals awarded in the same period, so rarer than gallantry!

David

" Here are the medal rolls for you Mike, for all the hard work you do on here "

Thank you very much, that is very good of you, and I appreciate it very much. Thanks too for your kind comments. :thumbsup:

Mike

FINNEGAN, LAWRENCE BERNARD

Rank: Corporal Service No: 1467 Date of Death: 03/02/1917 Age: 21 Regiment/Service: Devonshire Regiment 1st/6th Bn. Panel Reference Panel 11. Memorial BASRA MEMORIAL

Additional Information:

Son of Caroline Eva Allin (formerly Finnegan), of 34, Myrtle Grove, Bideford, Devon, and the late Thomas Francis Finnegan.

It could be worth you doing some more research, starting with the war diary of the battalion and see which actions they were taking part in for him to have been captured.

This is off the long, long trail.

1/6th Battalion

August 1914 : in Barnstaple. Attached as Army Troops to Wessex Division. On 16 September 1914 came under orders of Devon and Cornwall Brigade.

9 October 1914 : sailed for India, landing Karachi 11 November 1914. Came under orders of 3rd (Lahore) Divisional Area at Lahore.

January 1916: joined independent 36th Brigade in Indian Army.

5 January 1916 : landed at Basra, and remained in Mesopotamia for the rest of the war.

12 May 1916: 36th Brigade came under orders of 14th (Indian) Division.

September 1916 : came under orders of the Tigris Lines of Communication.

I've lost count of how many times I've stayed in Barnstaple/Bideford, and having relativesin both towns . However, years ago, I was browsing through the antique/junk shops and was the first time for a long time I come across two sets of TFWM for sale, however this is not a Regiment I do a lot of research.

It's funny how things work out. I will put together what I have found on him, and I'm sure the new medal owner will be delighted. He knows very little about him, and his bad eyesight means he cannot view a laptop/PC. He's a very interesting chap with an interesting collection; also a great deal of knowledge in his old head, as opposed to stored on an External Hard Drive.

Cheers Mike

Did you say he has his aunt's MM ??? Would be nice to know who she was

Norman

I did, and perhaps I shouldn't. I would best ask his permission before post too much online, but if he agrees, then will. I assure you it is genuine though.