Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bayonet /Knife id help please

OBLI01

Hi

I just picked this Bayonet/Knife from a local antiques store.Its my first purchase aqnd its in relic or poor relic condition,can't make out any numbers or marks at all,done some looking on sites but can't seem to find it.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Its 15 inches in length over all and the blade is 9 and 3 quarter inches.

Thanks for any help.Nick

post-67380-0-10394300-1337537590_thumb.j

post-67380-0-41466700-1337537791_thumb.j

It looks like a German Mauser bayonet as used in WWII with the Mauser 98K (I think it is also referred to as the M84/98 but these numbers are a bit of a mystery to me)

What are the grips made of? Is it some sort of bakelite/Plastic material or wood?

HERE IS A LINK to lots of pictures.

Chris

... It looks like a German Mauser bayonet as used in WWII with the Mauser 98K (I think it is also referred to as the M84/98 but these numbers are a bit of a mystery to me)...

On the ball as usual Chris! Looks pretty certainly to be a WWII one! And so OffTopic...

BUT, as the numbers confuse most people, then if the mods permit (risking them fining me another wacky number of warning points!) I'll expand a little on this even though it concludes out of WWI... Broadly speaking (I am following Walter's 'German Bayonet' here), the original 84/98 was a variation of the 71/84 (the first true knife bayonet), in which the pommel was modified to provide the TO slot necessary for the bayonet to fit on the end of the Gew.98 rifle. The introduction of the Karabiner 98 rifle with its shorter muzzle resulted in a change in which a flashguard was fitted over the top of the tang and grips, and this weapon and the modified 84/98 bayonet was in use in WWI. When this 98 k became the standard weapon of the German army in the mid-1930's, the 84/98 became the standard bayonet, but with a slightly different flashguard, and in the latter part of WWII, bakelite grips replacing wooden ones. As far as I can make out (not really my period and Walter does not expand on this!), the term '98k' is used to refer to those bayonets made after about 1935 specifically to fit the Karabiner 98.

Nick - have a look closely at the ricasso: you should see a name or numbers there and possibly a year-date, and if you do, then follow Chris' link above which will explain all this to you.

Trajan

Thank you both

I think the handle is bakelite/Plastic its very grubby and am unsure how to clean it up.Could not make out anything much on the on blade its quite correoded,could only see part numbers on the ricasso possibly a 2 or 8 and may be a 7 using a louThanks also for the link

Sorry about the OT was not sure of its era.Nick

Hi,

grips are in bakelite: WWII

Cnock